PerfTech

Well Known Member
....Over the last couple of years we have had many inquiries as to the possibility of installing a larger fork and tire on the A-model RVs. We perform the wheel bearing mods on many different brands and types of airplanes and found many interchangeable parts from model to model. I don't like the idea, do to the added drag, weight, big wheel pant Etc. But I will admit, if you operate a lot off of grass and rough fields this may be worth the effort. Below are some pictures of available parts that will accomplish this goal if so desired. The fork and 500X5 front wheel is for a glastar. They will fit the RV nose gear leg with no modification as the bore size and thickness are identical. They even have wheel pants for them available that would simplify the change over. The nose gear leg is also available and is a little shorter and larger in diameter to make up for the larger tire and fork offset. These are well proven parts and many are in use around the globe. We do not offer this as one of our products, nor are we recommending this. We simply are posting the information for information's sake. Hope this helps a few guys after this goal. Thanks, Allan...:D

Last edited:
When considering a mod like this, keep in mind that using a longer fork means an even higher bending moment on the leg (but maybe it would be ok if you also use an antisplat device ;)).

Allan, thanks!

no doubt some will 'flame' Allan for the very thought of this, but at least we should give credit for creative thinking.
Sure there are a number of domino effects to this change, but could it solve an important issue? Sure.

Allan, since you obviously have the setup in your shop, can you tell us the weight gain, and c.g. of the new assembly? I could use some more weight up front anyway! :) ah, nuts...or is it actually aft of the current setup! :(
I'd guess this would give the -7a and -9a a stance more like the -6a, no?

P.S. I always wondered if you merged a Glasair with a Glastar, would you get a Glastare????( just messin with you Allan!!!)

Last edited:
Watch out for this option

Beware of this option.

There was a builder who made his own fork mod to accommodate a larger nose wheel. I believe it was posted on the forum. He didn't understand the inter-relationship between the changing the fork length, tire size and its effects on the loads on the nose gear.

First flight he landed, gear folded and nosed over.

no doubt some will 'flame' Allan for the very thought of this, but at least we should give credit for creative thinking.
Sure there are a number of domino effects to this change, but could it solve an important issue? Sure.

Allan, since you obviously have the setup in your shop, can you tell us the weight gain, and c.g. of the new assembly? I could use some more weight up front anyway! :) ah, nuts...or is it actually aft of the current setup! :(
I'd guess this would give the -7a and -9a a stance more like the -6a, no?

P.S. I always wondered if you merged a Glasair with a Glastar, would you get a Glastare????( just messin with you Allan!!!)

...Cant believe I didn't see that! That was just a test to see if you guys are paying attention? No! :eek::eek: (Glastare, Iget those often) :eek::eek:
... This thread was in response to an e-mail we received a few days ago. I thought since these component parts were in our shop I would post some pictures. If I were going to do this I would only consider it if I changed the gear leg as well (larger diameter & shorter). Then all is matched and the stance would be normal height. As for weight, this fork is made of relatively thin steel and is as light as the stock Vans fork. The wheel and tire are 1.7lb. heavier. I don't have a Glastar nose gear to get a weight from but they are about .062" larger in diameter from top to bottom.

(rvbuilder2002 QUOTE)
When considering a mod like this, keep in mind that using a longer fork means an even higher bending moment on the leg.

...This is absolutely correct and you could be treading on dangerous ground here. The gear components seem to be very well matched on most all of these planes from all the manufacturers. Again, this is not something we recommend, and anyone attempting this really needs to do there homework and be very careful. Thanks, Allan...:D