prkaye

Well Known Member
Is it a big no-no to use a larger size ring terminal on a smaller post? for example a ground strap with a 5/16 terminal on a battery with a 1/4" post?

Phil,

I had the same situation & went ahead and got the right size. (just for peace of mind)
B&C and Stein have all the right sizes.

Sam

I wouldn't do it either.

I was told by my Avionics guy NOT to do that. He said you can get away with it but its really better to just replace the terminal with the right size. Plus, when dealing with aviation, lt's probably best not to live by the words "you can get away with it"

Bryan

Is it a big no-no to use a larger size ring terminal on a smaller post? for example a ground strap with a 5/16 terminal on a battery with a 1/4" post?
This will give much less surface area in the connection, which could increase the chance of that connection eventually failing due to high resistance. I would only do this for connections where you could live with the consequences of that connection failing.

If the main battery ground strap connection fails you will lose the whole electrical system. I'll let you decide whether that is an acceptable failure mode or not.

Personally, I would acquire the correct ring terminal.