walkman

Well Known Member
Had to go to Columbus, OH for a speaking engagement last week. I normally avoid large airports like the plague due to the hassle, long taxis and the onerous ramp fees and fuel prices.

First, the controllers were the most friendly and humorous group I've dealt with at a large airport in years (stark contrast to CVG). A real change from the 90's when they liked to try and kill light aircraft pilots with wake turbulence (and succeeded with a couple).

The folks at Lane were great, very friendly, gave me a ride to the Hilton and were generally very welcoming. As helpful to me as the crew of the Hawker jet that pulled in in front of me.

$15 ramp fee, $15 overnight parking. But the ramp fee was waived with my fuel purchase of only 6 gallons. If you figure $15/6 as a $2.50 reduction of price on my fuel ($7.02 with taxes) it made the fuel really cheap!

Anyway, a much better experience than I get with Signature/Millionair and warm cookies to boot!

Lane4 Aviation

Lane Aviation was started in 1935 by Foster Lane and is still owned by the Lane family. Foster Lane was involved in some way with the Dart and Culver Aircraft which were designed by Al Mooney.
The only older independent family owned FBO that I can think of is Cutter Aviation founded in Albuquerque in 1928.

cool

Yes I'm based at KCMH - pretty great airport for its size. They let us RVs that are based there have the run of the place most of the time.

Lane has a rich history. They are still not cheap on fuel, as you mentioned, but they do seem to be pretty good to deal with. They have a great parts department that is like having a mini Aircraft Spruce that you can walk up and buy from - great for us locals. I'll be other there Friday buying my oil and filter for my annual.

Formation

Brent, saw your post about your formation group. Rats! Missed you by a week, would have loved to fly with you. Maybe next time.