R

Richard Suffoletto

How long does it take for a harmonic damper to settle in? I just installed one at 25 hrs (more for CG than vibration) with a Performance wood prop & 0-360 and it seems the vibration is higher than without the damper. I attribute this to the fact that the damper has been on a shelf for the last couple of years and the viscus fluid has probably settled in. Just wonder how long before I should notice a difference...

harmonic damper

In 60 65 degree weather mine setteld in after one short flight. I have the same prop/engine combo as you. It will go aout of balance if you dont fly for a while but mine comes right back in (usually by the time I get to the run up area).
Tom
RV3
about 800 hrs on the Harmonic Balancer.

Lets bring this old thread back to life!

I am interested in installing one of these 12lb CG adjusters to my airplane since I have been painted, I am fealing the CG pain of the RV7 without a CS prop! I built this ship as a lean mean frugal VFR machine but this apparently was not what Van's had in mind with the design....

Landoll said this is just a steel ring that bolts to the starter/flywheel.

Has anyone ever known of any issues with doing this on an O-360 with a metal FP Sensenich prop. My crank is one of the older styles with the lightening holes around the flange.

Comments? Can't afford a CS so please don't suggest that...

I believe that Landoll sells two different items.

One is a "harmonic balancer" that has a fluid inside it. It is advertised to smooth out a fixed pitch prop, and adds weight at the same time to shift the CG forward.

The other is a steel ring to merely add weight to the prop area to shift the CG forward.

I have a steel ring that I no longer need, PM me if interested.

Pete,

This is what he responded to me offering:

"Brian,

In response to your inquiry, this is what I have.

A steel ring, C.G. adjuster and vibration dampening. A must for Lycoming engines using wood propellers with prop extensions. Attaches to starter ring fly wheel. Works great on RV4, RV6, T18, Mustang II and etc. Weight is approximately 12 lbs.

It increases top RPM, moves the CG forward, removes 20% to 25% of engine vibrations, inceases engine life, smoother idling and easier starting."

Is this what you have?

I've got the harmonic balancer w/ aerobatic plate, have been flying it for about eight years and am very happy with it's performance.

It will smooth out some vibration and as already said move the CG forward.

Because it adds mass to the crank you can idle the engine lower ~100 rpms.

Glenn654