rwarre

Well Known Member
I am able to land my 7A with nose off the ground up to a point. Then the weight in the front prevents me from having the nose drop onto the ground. Should I try to ease the nose down before the point where I can't control the nose heavy situation or is the sudden drop a concern.

It depends...

...on whether you're landing on grass or pavement. On pavement, as the nose starts down, you can ease off the stick a little for a gentler touchdown but on grass I like the stick fully back because even at slow speeds, it really takes a lot of weight off the nose.

Next time you taxi, pull the stick back 'n forth, all the way back and you'll see just how effective that big ol' elevator really is:) The nose'll be rockin' up and down.

Best,

I am able to land my 7A with nose off the ground up to a point. Then the weight in the front prevents me from having the nose drop onto the ground. Should I try to ease the nose down before the point where I can't control the nose heavy situation or is the sudden drop a concern.

In addition to Pierre's comments, I would offer this (IMHO).
Yes, a "sudden drop" should be a concern. Practice (as Pierre suggested) and find the speed at which the elevator does not have enough authority to keep the nose up. On subsequent landings, when your airspeed drops to within about 5 MPH of this speed, GENTLY fly the NW to the ground. Then, as Pierre suggested get the stick back to keep the weight off the nosegear.

I've been trying to bring the ASI into the operation as the aircraft is slowing after touch down.

This off course depends on where the CG is but at about 50 knots the nose is held off easily and as airspeed bleeds off, by 43 it is on the surface. It does not just drop out, it settles by itself at a rate not uncomfortable.

I have found if back pressure is applied aggressively after touch down, the nose gets so high it feels like it might settle on the tail - but it probably won't. I have not had the nerve to maintain that high attitude as it sure would drop out quickly if it did not settle on the tail.

All things in moderation....:)

You don't necessarily have to hold the nose wheel way up, say a foot or so off the ground. If you only hold it a couple of inches off the ground, it won't fall very heavily.

Also, you can hold the nose off longer with the flaps retracted, but you will get less aerodynamic braking.

Another $.02 worth, speaking of which: When is the US gonna get rid of pennies?

The flair is established and when the mains touch down, I maintain the nose wheel float (the nose wheel height does not increase after mains touch) with a continues pull till the stick is in full aft position. The nose touches down when it is ready and in my plane you can't feel it touch down. Aft elevator is held till shut down.

I LOVE landing this airplane....... A greaser almost every time!

Franking cost

You don't necessarily have to hold the nose wheel way up, say a foot or so off the ground. If you only hold it a couple of inches off the ground, it won't fall very heavily.

Also, you can hold the nose off longer with the flaps retracted, but you will get less aerodynamic braking.

Another $.02 worth, speaking of which: When is the US gonna get rid of pennies?

According to the Denver Mint, three years ago it cost 11 cents to make a penny.

LarryT