Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Gents,

I am by no means an experience RV pilot. With only about 40 hours combined solo or with an instructor I have noticed something that pleasantly surprised me. I always seem to flare to just inches above the ground, not feet (runway width independent)

As mentioned I don't have much experience, I am not a natural stick and rudder guy. My flying 25+ years ago was in C-152/172's. So why am I able to judge the flare height so consistently?

Here is my theory. I have been driving a F-150 2WD pickup for over the past 10 years. I measured my head height from the ground in my truck and measured the head height from the ground in my RV-7A. The heights were very close (within a inch or so). So my driving sight picture in my F-150 is almost identical to my taxing sight picture in my RV-7A.

I conclude that driving my F-150 for years created a memorized sight/height picture that has helped me to flare at the right heights when landing. I have mentioned this to a few new RV pilots who drive full size pickups and they too have been surprised with their flare height.

Just a theory, any new RV pilots out there buy into this?

Food for thought.

Paul, it's pretty amazing that you brought that up. I too drive an F150 (1997) and have wondered how "the picture" in the truck matches that of my 7A. I haven't ever measured but it does seem that the seats are close to the same height. The only thing that could make the picture different is the view over the cowl vs hood. I had actually thought about putting something on my truck dash that would simulate the same height as the glare shield compared to eye level.
I bet there are a lot of builders that dream of that "full-throttle" moment as he 'takes-off' for work. Hey, I've even practiced my initial ground / tower contact using my N-number (reserved of course). :D
I'll let you know how your theory works out some day....maybe this year. :D

tailwheel

Maybe I can replace the rear wheels on my F-150 for small ones and get a headstart on tailwheel training. :D

I had trouble with the flare height when doing my transition training. I was used to landing our C-180 on 185 gear, and consistently flared at the height I did in the 180. After a few bounces, I figured it out.

Uh oh! F350

OK, I'm going to be a horror for my transition training instructor. I drive a Ford F350 dually farm vehicle ! :)

I've driven a full-size pickup truck exclusively for the past 19 years, and have almost 75 hours total in tailwheel RVs.

Every landing can still be different for me.

What bothers me the most is that lately my last few landings that have been as close to "greasers" as possible have been under gusty/windy or crosswind conditions, and the landings I've been making under calm winds, or nice steady 10 knot winds straight down the runway are the ones that I bunny-hop or outright bounce bigtime on. :eek:

Flare, Flare

I have over 100,000 miles in a big truck mostly extended hood W900L Kenworth.......Guess I dont have a chance getting it right.....;)