douglassmt

Well Known Member
I may have a need to pick up a client/passenger in Vegas. He would be landing commercial at McCarran and I would want to pick him up for a flight to a project site up north, then return him later. For those who have experience in the area, can you suggest the best way to do this? I've read the threads about the airports in the area and have worked there for years, but never flown there private. Seems like my options are:

1. Have him meet me at an LAS FBO for a pickup, get fuel, depart. Reverse, repeat.
2. Have him rent a car and drive to HND or North Las Vegas for pickup/return there.

Obviously, the first is easier/quicker, but what am I getting into flying into such a huge airport? ATC, fees, etc.

I may have a need to pick up a client/passenger in Vegas. He would be landing commercial at McCarran and I would want to pick him up for a flight to a project site up north, then return him later. For those who have experience in the area, can you suggest the best way to do this? I've read the threads about the airports in the area and have worked there for years, but never flown there private. Seems like my options are:

1. Have him meet me at an LAS FBO for a pickup, get fuel, depart. Reverse, repeat.
2. Have him rent a car and drive to HND or North Las Vegas for pickup/return there.

Obviously, the first is easier/quicker, but what am I getting into flying into such a huge airport? ATC, fees, etc.

3. Have him take a taxi to HND or North Las Vegas for pickup/return there: HND is easy in/out :) Rosie

Since you're heading north I'd have him take a taxi to North Las Vegas. The FBO at LAS is so far from the passenger terminal he'd need a cab just to get there, unless the FBO will pick him up in exchange for their ramp fees.

LAS has a smaller runway dedicated pretty much to GA so in/out is not an issue, it's just expensive.

vegas

Consider the time of day regarding road traffic. Getting to North Vegas in heavy traffic can take a LONG time, Henderson not nearly as bad. Easy flight around the Bravo airspace from henderson or you may get a clearance thru the Bravo depending on traffic at McCarran.

1. Fly to McCarran, pick him up at Altantic FBO and fly him to the site. After job is done bring him back to KLAS. Non event really just get ready for required fees. Fuel elsewhere.

What were the fees?

Total $100 for one visit one night. $60 landing fee $40 FBO overnight if no fuel bought. I assume you will end up with two landing fees and one FBO because you will turn around in one day. No hassle indeed. I stayed at Motel 6 by the airport and could see my RV from the window parked.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks. That might just be worth it.

You still owe me a guided trip around Manhattan....if I ever get there!

Atlantic or Signature will pick him up and drop him off again at the airline passenger terminal for "no charge".
You may as well get something for your ramp fee. Taking a cab to HND or VGT just seems like a waste of time.

Yep

I agree. This is a pretty high end client so it would be worth it to give him the red carpet treatment - and his time is valuable. Plus I would get to land at McCarran with the big iron :)