SeanB

Well Known Member
I just cut the leading edges for the Duckworks Kits. My preference is to use LED Landing Lights if possible, but I have concerns with the following:

• Cost
  • Candlepower/Lumens
  • (this seems very subjective from vendor to vendor and is also affected by lens configuration)
Otherwise, the benefits of LEDs seem very attractive.

I had the 50 watt XEVision HIDs on the 10 Project. Wow...very bright.

Anyone flying with the Aero LED 36HX? Looks nice, but $$$$$$
Similar LED Landing lights?

How well do they broadcast down the runway?
Although I won't fly at night all that much, we do have deer, elk, etc. that can get in the area. I want it bright.

Thanks,

Here is what I did. I used Aero-Leds and made a simple bracket to bolt them to the Duckworks light kit. This is the 4 led light. They make a 6 light that would also fit. The cool thing about these are they have the wig wag feature bult in. All you do is connect one wire between the two lights and you're done. The two small parts have nothing to do with the lights.
Sunlite.jpg

When I talked to AeroLEDs they indicated their SunSpot 46 was the same light output as the HID 50w. But that light is almost $900 compared to $150 for a HID. I am using LEDs everywhere but the landing light as I dont expect to have it on much. I am going to use the stock vans tips as wig-wag, and use LED position/strobe as well. The landing light will likely be the HID as it has a long lifetime and can be wagged once it is warmed up. That is unless the LED price comes down considerably in the next 2 years. So to hedge that bet, I am just going to use the install kit from Ducks and wait and see whats available when I'm ready to fly.

Dual 50W HID lights can be had for $50-75 delivered.

Care to share where I could find them for that? I just ordered two of the complete Duckworks kits from Van's at $250/ea. That sure seems expensive for what they do? I wanted to find a cheaper alternative but kinda just gave up looking and ordered the Duckworks to be done with it....

Just google 50w HID retrofit or conversion kit...you won't get the install parts but you can buy them separate from DW....

Last edited: