BuckWynd

Well Known Member
For those who are still mulling over the choices for your landing light(s), AvWeb put together a 4-minute video that shows the differences on a test range:

Landing Light Comparison

Just passing it along as another set of data points for you...

Ahhh so. The reason I asked is twice a day I walk past a copy of a Gulf War Air Force Times hanging on the wall here int he Pentagon. The front page photo is the photo that your avatar is derived from. Just wondered if it was you.

I thought this was a really great video. Each time I go to OSH I felt like a loser for installing plain old 100W round duckworks lights in my -9A... what with all those cool LED lights everywhere.

Now I feel better - a pretty big difference in real-world performance. HID would sure be nice, though.

Just one comment about the test range.

Since the range testing was done at ground level, the camera (and human eye) adjust to the light shining on the ground close to the light source as well as on light coming back from distant objects. This enhances the difference in brightness for light shining on more distant objects.

From the vantage point of an airplane on final approach, only the light striking the ground at a distance will be seen. The eye will adapt to this level, so the differences won't be as pronounced. You will get better illumination of distant objects (beyond 1000 feet) with the tighter beams, but on short final, the broader pattern of the LED light will provide a wider area of illumination which helps when judging your flare.

I would like to see Paul redo the video of the lights on the test range with the lights mounted to a tall ladder or pole, at least 30 feet in height. This would be a better way to compare the differences between these three lights for an airplane on final approach.

Additionally, we are planning on releasing a future version of the Sunspot with a tighter beam pattern.

Dean Wilkinson
AeroLEDs LLC