llavalle

Well Known Member
I'm at the step where I need to install the doubler plate on the plexiglass of my landing light kit.

The instructions provided in the kit and others builder's website I've seen seems to indicate that there's a big double faced tape on the top and on the bottom.

When I opened the bag of parts, this is what I got :

DSC04639.JPG

2 Small double faced tape strip and one weather strip. Where do I put the double faced tape?

I was about to cut in in 3 and put each part directly under each nutplate. Where do I put the weather strip?

Any suggestions?

I cut mine into two pieces per strip and put them right where you have that black writing on the doubler.

I believe the instructions say to put he weather striping about 1-2 centimeters from the outside edge of the plexiglass, so that is presses against the inside of the leading edge skin. There should be enough to go completely around the edge.

Last edited:
The double face tape I got in kit didn't have enough holding power. The doubler plates came off while I was trying to install the screws. (The kit had been sitting around a long time before I finally installed the lights)

I used some double sided clear 3M VHB tape (this stuff is super strong & I'm sure you'll find other places to use it). I put some between the screw holes and on the ends also - that way it provided good "stick" as well as a cushion between the doubler & the plexi.

My only other suggestion is don't put the tape too close to the forward edge of the doubler. I did mine very close to the edge and you can see the tape if you look closely.

I just installed my kit recently.

I recommend tossing the tape that comes with the kit and instead use a single piece of tape that will run the length of the doubler. cut/punch holes in the tape for the screws. The doubler is so thin that it will flex with little torque on the screws and the separate bits of tape do not spread the load evenly over the lens. By using a single piece of tape, it will spread the load out better.

Last edited:
The double face tape I got in kit didn't have enough holding power.[...]

I just installed my kit recently.

I recommend tossing the tape that comes with the kit and instead use a single piece of tape that will run the length of the doubler.[...]

Looks like I'll buy some tape. It's not critical but it just does not feel right to do it with small pieces. I'll use a longer piece.

Thanks