Jeff R

Well Known Member
I am in the process of building my RV-9A wings. I installed the Duckworks halogen kit in one wing, which I plan to use as a taxi light, and have planned on installing a HID lamp in the other wing for the landing light. I don't see the need to spend around $500 for the Duckworks HID at this time, yet I want to proceed with the cutout and even installing the bracket now before I attach the leading edge to the wing spar. (Actually, I am thinking of using a motorcycle HID system at half the cost, where I make my own bracket using some scrap aluminum I have.) Either way, it seems to me that the template for the Duckworks kit aims the light down low, which is what you would need for a taxi light, but which might not allow sufficient adjustment for a higher-aiming landing light

Does anyone have an opinion on changing the suggested cutout to raise it higher, and want might the ideal angle for the mounting bracket be?

Eager for an answer myself...

Jeff,

I've asked a similar question about the mounting plate being adjustable enough for a landing vs taxi angle. My impression is that the default cutout location is fine for either. But the template for locating the mounting plate attach points to the ribs wasn't specific on a starting angle, or an optional attach point location, so that adjustment for either a landing angle or a taxi angle could be accomplished.

I have yet to decide on how to procede with mine, so hopefully this thread will get some more input.

I had a few people tell me that the installation after the leading edge is riveted to the spar isn't much harder then when it's off. That gave me enough confidence to just forge ahead and figure it out once I get the right leading edge riveted. At that point I'll figure out my mount plate and decide which light (landing or taxi) goes on which side.

I am in the process of building my RV-9A wings. I installed the Duckworks halogen kit in one wing, which I plan to use as a taxi light, and have planned on installing a HID lamp in the other wing for the landing light. I don't see the need to spend around $500 for the Duckworks HID at this time, yet I want to proceed with the cutout and even installing the bracket now before I attach the leading edge to the wing spar. (Actually, I am thinking of using a motorcycle HID system at half the cost, where I make my own bracket using some scrap aluminum I have.) Either way, it seems to me that the template for the Duckworks kit aims the light down low, which is what you would need for a taxi light, but which might not allow sufficient adjustment for a higher-aiming landing light

Does anyone have an opinion on changing the suggested cutout to raise it higher, and want might the ideal angle for the mounting bracket be?
Jeff-
I would leave the cutout as is. You'll notice that the holes in the bracket that attach to the wing ribs are about .5" or larger. This will allow for a lot of adjustability up or down.

(Note that for those of us who are building taildraggers the adjustment range is particularly critical since the landing light must be directed straight forward while the taxi light must be directed down much farther than your -A model would require.)

Hope this helps.