videobobk

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone have the width of the gear without the wheels mounted, no weight on them? We will need to move the fuselage through a door and would like to do it with the gear on. We haven't mounted the gear yet, and width will determine if we do before taking it through. This is for show-n-tell, an open house at the high school where we are going to display in the gym. It is next month. Max width with the wheels on would be a nice figure, too.

Thanks,

Bob

With wheels is right at seven feet - outside-to-outside of the top of the tire. Important when transporting it on a trailer.

When I was transporting my -12 on a trailer the wheels were tight inside the trailer fender so I took a good a ratcheting strap and pulled the axles together a little to make it easier to slide between the fenders. Bob, this may come in handy moving your project to the exhibitions.

Last edited:
Gear Leg Measurement

Bob,

Just got the second one on. The main gear legs are 69" from outside to outside with fuselage setting on a table.

While the page 35-02 experience is fresh in my memory I want to pass along a tip. A step that really helped for me was using a welding magnet set in the U channel to hold the wear plates in position. I needed an extra set of fingers there. This also let me get around the interfering rivet near the outer bracket that some have drilled out and replaced.

Good luck with the H.S. project!

Keith W.
Milan, IL

Ooops - its 35-03

I see that I missed the page number - here is the right one for the archives.

While the page 35-03 experience is fresh in my memory I want to pass along a tip. A step that really helped for me was using a welding magnet set in the U channel to hold the wear plates in position. I needed an extra set of fingers there. This also let me get around the interfering rivet near the outer bracket that some have drilled out and replaced.

Keith W.
Milan, IL

What I need!

Kieth, Larry, Bill: Thanks, guys, for the info. Info like this is a problem when the plane is ten miles away, and you are making plans. With a six foot door (about 70 1/2" clearance without worrying about hinges) it looks like we will be fine. I can even attach some casters to make it easy!

Thanks for the tip, but we are seldom at a lack for extra hands. That has been one of the good things about a group build. We have even had guys just lift the fuselage to do something on the bottom. I did have a boy working under the avionics shelf last night tell me, "I'm getting too old for this." He is a sophomore!

Larry, I hope to fly to most of the exhibitions! Good thought, tho.

Bob