aerovin

Well Known Member
I just installed my landing gear using the standard Vans bolt and hardened washer and the NAS1804-6 nuts instead of the standard Vans nuts. It worked out okay but after it was all said and done, I did not have the recommended one thread through the nut. All the threads appear to be engaged so I think I am okay but wanted the standard knowledgeable opinions...

Last edited:
Nuts!!!!

You are most likely to get two or three takes on this one. I like to stay with the old school rule on this one. "A.C. 43-13 1A&B", I think quotes one and one half threads showing. I dislike half threads for this answer so I round up for safety sake to two. "A.C. 43-13" is a good book to have on hand and use all the time. Now comes the "BUT" you are putting together an "experimental" and you will be the "manufacturer". You may wish to look to the FAA for the responsibilities under these definitions. Hope this helps.. Yours as always R.E.A.III # 80888

Yes, I started with the "good book" that says one thread should extend. I realize this is a judgment call.

Looks like you need a longer bolt. The nut probably won't develop its full strength like this and the locking feature will be degraded.

Dave

Yep, after reviewing some other material and with these comments here, I agree I need a longer bolt. The next step up in the bolt would be the NAS6206-28 which would have a grip length that is 1/16" longer (only $9 a piece) or the NAS6206-30 that would be 3/16" longer. I don't want to go too long on the grip length or I'll have another problem. Anyone else run into this with using the NAS1804-6 nuts? What bolt size worked best? It would follow that 1/16" of length with 24 threads per inch would give me 1 1/2 additional threads in length assuming the longer grip was not a problem.

Or, I guess I could revert to use the standard NAS679A6 nuts that came with the kit. Probably new bolts.

Last edited:
I ordered nas6606-27 bolts from ecas and put them along side of vans supplied bolts and easily saw they were at least two threads longer. I don't remember what vans stated length was but I remember checking and thinking they were -26. Anyway, these bolts when torqued up have 1.5 to 2 threads showing above the nuts that you are using. Definitely more thread showing than what is shown in your picture. I think one more step up would work too. Don't see how it could be any more difficult to get them nuts on anyway.
Good luck with whatever you decide.