Fedico94

Does the 901A gear leg slip into the Landing Gear Mount without modification? I am having difficulty getting it to seat to the last 1/2 inch depth
The plans and Builder logs do not mention any difficulty with this. Do You sand or use emory cloth to get the leg to seat properly or am I doing something wrong?:confused:

Tight Fit

I found that on mine there was a slight burr on the factory holes. Both inside the mounts and on the gear leg it self. I used a light emory cloth and all was well.

I agree with Paul, a bit of light sanding should fix the problem. Also possibly causing the problem may be a bit of the powder coat, which can be sanded down. Don't forget to put a bit of grease on the leg - they rust pretty fast without some protection.

greg

Vans reply

emailed van's about this and they sasid under no circumstance should the gear leg or receptacle bracket be sanded or grount down. They state that the socket and leg have been machines to match. I find this fit to be less than accurate. I did sand the mating ends to remove any burrs, paint etc and still this does not slip together as I would expect.
I suspect that sanding with 150 grit is useful on the socket. I do not see many people commenting on this subject on the net. They put the legs on last in the fuselage completion section of various builder logs, so I suspect that once they are on it would be impossible to remove. It seems they would be difficult to rotate to line up the holes for drilling to 0.311

Gear Leg Fit

It is going to fit TIGHT and does not slip easily in and out. The key is making sure there are no burrs or rust. A light coat of LPS or some other lubricant is essential. Slide it in and then don't be afraid to twist it a bit and push it up in. It will go....

Keith

N355RV

Remove any surface burrs and protruding powder coat, buff with a green Scotchbrite pad to remove any light rust and coat with general purpose grease. It's still tight and you'll need a second pair of hands to keep all these heavy pieces aligned as they socket together. Having the weight of the leg hanging sideways on the joint will increase the insertion force needed.
Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Wiring etc

Gear Legs

Mine are VERY tight also, but I think that 150 grit sandpaper is a bit coarse on this stuff. Use something like 400 w/d, emery cloth, etc. 150 could actually cause it to be harder to install the legs, by scoring the raw metal. Light coat of Lithium, bearing, or other waterproof grease is essential. Also these must be put in straight. The mating surfaces do not allow you to be at the slightest angle off, you will have slop in there if you remove too much material from the gear leg, only ONE bolt holds this assembly together, it must be tight, the entire landing weight of the aircraft rests on these points.
Mike H 9A/8a