B737NG

Hello,

(RV-8 Landing Gear Installation)

I am having a difficult time understanding the required 0.030 inch gap between the face of each outboard attach bracket and the U-805-1 outboard wear plates.

What is providing the resistance for the 240 in/lbs of torque when a 0.030 inch gap is also required? (How can you torque the bolt to 240 in/lbs and leave a 0.030 inch gap between the face of the outboard attach bracket and the U-805-1 wear plates?)

I know I am missing something - I am just not sure what is it!

Thanks

Paul

"When tightening the nuts on the NAS bolts that attach the U-803 Outboard Attach Brackets to the fuselage a, socket can be fitted to the nut with the use of a universal joint and an assortment of different length extenaions
to allow the torque wrench to be located outside of the L G. Box Assembly. Tighten the nuts on each outboard attach bracket by first hand tightening each nut until it just contacts the washer, then alternate between them.
tightening in 5 in./lb. increments until reaching the final torque of 240 in/lbs.

This will leave a gap of approximately 0.030-inch between the face of each outboard attach bracket and the U-805-1 Outboard Wear plates.
CAUTION: DO NOT over tighlen these bolts. Doing so will bend the outboard attach bracket and actually weaken the assembly.

Check these bolts and re-torqued after the first ten flying hours, then again at 50 hours, and annually thereafter. Failure to do so could lead to premature wear. The consequentes of a loose gear leg are easy to imagine. lf you put the proper torque on the bolts and there is less than the required. 030 gap, then file or machinet he faces of the outboard attach bracket L rntitlh e correct gap is obtained."

You need to allow the gap to ensure that the bracket is pulled fully against the landing gear. If the gap is not there, the bracket could hit the wear plate before it hits the landing gear and the gear would not be held firmly. The bracket is very strong and you can get the 240 in/lbs by pulling the bracket against the gear.

I hope this makes sense.