Seabird

Hi,
I am a new RV8 owner and a smaller woman. I find when landing I am unable to put my heels on the floor and hence have to keep my feet suspended in the roll out and the adjustment to breaking after the tail drops and the plane slows. I'm wondering if other pilots out there have struggled with this issue and have any helpful hints. Thanks.

Hello, and Welcome!

If you are comfortable sliding your feet up the pedals to get to the brakes (as opposed to letting your feet hang in mid-air....I hate that too!), you might think about extending the rudder pedals downward. All this involves is fabricating some pedal extensions and riveting them on to the existing pedals. You will, of course, have to remove the pedals to do this easily, and will need a few common building tools.

This pedal modification was originally designed to help people from inadvertently applying brakes at landing, by allowing them to use the rudders while pushing below the brake pivot point. The extension accomplish this, but a lot of folks fly without them , so whether or not it is useful depends on an individual's foot/ankle geometry.

Randy Lervold had pictures of this mod on his site, and I copied them from there. you can see them in my pictures on this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=10528

Something to consider at least!

Paul

footwork

Thanks Paul,
I'll take a look. Part of the problem is my husband flies the plane half the time, and he has size 13 feet, but I'm not sure an extension would prove to be a problem for him. Thanks.

no Joke

Frank now that's funny......LOL LOL LOL. My wife is a Airbus Captain, she was in the shop the other day and told me thanks for building her airplane for her. What is she thinking?????? I guess she can call it hers as long and she lets me fly it, and she keep helping me pay for it.

Rich

I guess

she might pull the old "Now who is the most experienced pilot around here?" deal...Sound like your on the losing end of that argument..:)

pedal extensions

Barbara,

I have a set of pedal extensions installed on my RV-8, in the next town over. Feel free to drop by to check them out. Just send me a PM to coordinate times.

Mike Draper
RV-8 N468RV
TMX 0360 CS Pmags
finishing, finishing, finishing...