Most of aviation is federally regulated, including airspace. Without federal pre-emption, condo associations would declare traffic patterns to be "trespassing" and sue local airports or their users out of existence.

Chris, again, voice of experience here. I have fought that specific battle, acting as local organizer, EAA member, and AOPA ASN. Approximately 200 pilots, local and distant, filed the appropriate documents with the FAA, one for each of seven power poles, over 1400 total. In due course we got an FAA ruling of "hazard to navigation". The alphabets, who had done nothing, took credit...and then disappeared.

ScreenHunter_2434 Sep. 22 18.58.jpg

Big win? Nope, because the FAA position was "Here's our ruling. Enforcement is the responsibility of the airport sponsor". It's their interpretation of the sponsor and grant agreements.

So, in the end, it all came back to five city councilmen and a mayor. Alabama Power didn't want to take the poles down (they went ahead and built them while the Feds were considering the matter), so they offered to install new street lights in Wetumpka, gratis. Town of Millbrook got new ballfield lights. Town of Elmore stuck with the pilots and got nothing. I don't remember what Elmore County got. Our new runway, previously supported by all of the above, was quietly removed from the airport master plan, and presto, no more airspace violation.

Federal enforcement would not be policy even if a rule prohibiting landing fees sprang into existence. And I will never, ever again depend on the FAA or the alphabets to protect my airport. Doing so was a strategic mistake; we could have stopped pole construction before they went up if we would have stayed local in the first place. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Chris, again, voice of experience here. I have fought that specific battle, acting as local organizer, EAA member, and AOPA ASN. Approximately 200 pilots, local and distant, filed the appropriate documents with the FAA, one for each of seven power poles, over 1400 total. In due course we got an FAA ruling of "hazard to navigation". The alphabets, who had done nothing, took credit...and then disappeared.

View attachment 70869

Big win? Nope, because the FAA position was "Here's our ruling. Enforcement is the responsibility of the airport sponsor". It's their interpretation of the sponsor and grant agreements.

So, in the end, it all came back to five city councilmen and a mayor. Alabama Power didn't want to take the poles down (they went ahead and built them while the Feds were considering the matter), so they offered to install new street lights in Wetumpka, gratis. Town of Millbrook got new ballfield lights. Town of Elmore stuck with the pilots and got nothing. I don't remember what Elmore County got. Our new runway, previously supported by all of the above, was quietly removed from the airport master plan, and presto, no more airspace violation.

Federal enforcement would not be policy even if a rule prohibiting landing fees sprang into existence. And I will never, ever again depend on the FAA or the alphabets to protect my airport. Doing so was a strategic mistake; we could have stopped pole construction before they went up if we would have stayed local in the first place. Lesson learned.
I appreciate your win, and should defer to your experience, but in my mind a hard-fought local win is just one battle. There are over 5000 public airports in the US. Fighting each battle one at a time may be necessary in the interim, but is likely to eventually result in many losses, which will build momentum for turning nearby airports towards fees in order to reduce traffic spillover. My sense is that the only win that is likely to be durable and widespread is top-down. Having to relitigate landing fees at even one local airport every few years, is a losing proposition in many metro areas. Eventually the neighborhood complainers will outnumber the pilots and we'll be overruled. I don't know how your local climate differs from what I've seen in CA and CO, but we need a powerful ally to win this fight. Arguably a national one, willing to make a hard-to-reverse national law or directive. If AOPA can get congress to pass Basicmed, there's hope.

At the end of the day, I'm not an attorney and I have no experience in policy, lobbying, or government. Still, I can't help but think that accumulating losses in the form of new landing fees in the most locally-unpopular airports will start a viral change that will eventually transform GA in the US forever. There has to be some way to nip it in the bud before it gains momentum.

Last edited:
Didn't read past the first paragraph?
I did, I guess I misunderstood the outcome and it makes more sense when re-reading. It does underscore that local government wishes are powerful, and if they're not on your side it's going to be a problem. I'm approaching this from the perspective that the local governments are not on our side. Maybe in some cases they are, but in many prominent cases they are not. If there's no way to preempt that, we will lose every time.

EDIT: The only thing that seems to be preventing local, johhny-come-lately, cookie-cutter-condo residents from successfully suing flight schools and individual pilots is the designation of airspace as federally governed.

It seems as though it will take all levels of effort -- Federal, State and Local. At the federal level, it is likely the FAA will not be of assistance. Rather, it will likely need to be political, much like BasicMed as noted previously. At the state level, the issue can be addressed by state legislatures in cooperation with state aeronautical commissions. And at local level via working with airport authorities and community leadership. All levels will likely need to be engaged. So, it's probably not "one or the other", but the GA community engaging at all levels. If this multi-faceted approach has potential, then this leads to a concern with EAA news, in which it appears that EAA is passing the responsibility to the singular local level, rather than advocating a multi-level approach of engagement and advocacy. @Richard from Australia (post 242) is the proverbial canary in the coal mine, providing some insights into how landing fees have the potential to diminish GA in the U.S.

I did, I guess I misunderstood the outcome and it makes more sense when re-reading. It does underscore that local government wishes are powerful, and if they're not on your side it's going to be a problem. I'm approaching this from the perspective that the local governments are not on our side. Maybe in some cases they are, but in many prominent cases they are not. If there's no way to preempt that, we will lose every time.

EDIT: The only thing that seems to be preventing local, johhny-come-lately, cookie-cutter-condo residents from successfully suing flight schools and individual pilots is the designation of airspace as federally governed.
I just got done with a local (and successful) battle against Big Guvment protecting my private strip from a powerline coming through.

Dan's right.

The airports with landing fees will be the ones where the locals gave up.
The airports with the landing fees will be the ones where the pilots are outnumbered 100:1 or worse. I'm witnessing it because I live in one of those places. The goal is to make flights rare, and ultimately maybe get it all closed down. I'd be willing to bet the battles I'm seeing are different than your local airports, and you can't reason with a city council that wants the place shuttered so they can sell it off to real estate developers. Explosive suburban growth demands sacrifice and GA has the smallest voice at the table.

I'd be willing to bet the battles I'm seeing are different than your local airports, and you can't reason with a city council that wants the place shuttered so they can sell it off to real estate developers. Explosive suburban growth demands sacrifice and GA has the smallest voice at the table.
Follow the money trail.

Follow the money trail.
Money talks. A bunch of small time GA pilots can't compete with the hundreds of millions at stake for real estate developers. The process is corrupt from the start because the voices for and the voices against don't have equal standing.

I just got done with a local (and successful) battle against Big Guvment protecting my private strip from a powerline coming through.

Dan's right.
Your local experience makes sense to me, but I don't know how much a private strip in Texas has in common with a Santa Monica, Torrence, or Boulder situation where the general public and elected officials are becoming hostile to all airport activity with a special hate for piston GA and flight training traffic. It's irrational and you can't reason a person out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

I think it's critically important to try for outside help because the recurring theme is that everybody wants the airport traffic "somewhere else", which taken to its logical conclusion means there's nowhere to put it in a major metro area. This requires an adult in the room, or at least jurisdiction that can preempt local irrationality. Maybe that could occur at the state level, but probably not smaller than that.

One can try to make allies, but the local political winds are fickle and likely to turn on us sooner rather than later. I hope I'm wrong, but I think it will take federal legislation to snuff out.

Last edited:
Not understanding if these fees had started or where a pilot would find the fees before landing, I sent an email to two of the three Florida airports originally mentioned by the OP.
I understand KDED has decided not to implement.
Both responded quickly.
KFIN has said he have not decided yet.
KOMN says many in the area will be and they are but don't know when yet.

Neither answered how a pilot would be noticed.
KOMN did answer the cost amount as the same $3 per 1000# MTOW.

Honestly what concerns me more is noise abatement.
Both airport websites I visited had a lot of info for local residence about noise.
I will bet the local residence have a greater presence at the meetings and more voice with local politicians than we do.
KFIN even has a Aircraft Noise Abatement Dashboard showing a map giving the complaints and where they are coming from.
Luckily, seems only a handful of people complaining but most with many complaints. Looked like one had over 600 complaints and another over 200 in a short period of time. Even many per day.

I feel guilty every time I visit an FBO and buy little or no fuel but receive excellent hospitality with a beautiful facility.
I just wish there was a better way to collect rather than landing fees when I don't use the facility.

It's a chess game. I choose to play. You choose to forfeit. One of us will get landing fees.
I respect your opinion but I think the circumstances we're talking about are not similar at all. This is way beyond small town politics where I live. The pilot community is engaged, but the opposition is stronger and better connected as far as I can tell. If state or federal regulation doesn't make landing fees impossible, they will use landing fees to cut traffic until they can snuff the airport out. Maybe not this year or next year, but within 10 years.

Edit: truly, I respect your experience and could learn a lot from you, so I hope my arguing hasn't been offensive. I think the particulars of airport politics in small town Alabama versus metro Denver or LA have very little in common.

Last edited:
All the flags are configurable, so it’s easy to adjust your IAS close to the ground - or the baro - flag to stop it flagging unnecessarily.
Patrick from FlySto doesn't agree. It is a nice reference tool and I continue using it but it does have its flaws and limitations that an insurance company would exploit to give us higher rates!

Luckily, seems only a handful of people complaining but most with many complaints. Looked like one had over 600 complaints and another over 200 in a short period of time. Even many per day.
I recall a case from a few years back, Colorado I think, where one person had a boatload of noise complaints. So the local pilots got together and filed a notice on the person's property (like what would have to be disclosed to buyers if, e.g., the house was near a dump or sewage treatment plant, etc.), thereby dramatically lowering the value of the property. :) And there was no way they could argue it, because the homeowner himself was the one who filed all the noise complaints!

I just added a usage fees field to Fly-Walk-Eat for each airport. I'll populate the data for all the airports charging usage fees that I know of, but this web page is crowd sourced, so please click on the edit button if you know of an airport fee that's not listed.

If the fee is simple (ie. $10 per landing), you can enter that just after the check box, else you can enter the URL pointing to the fee descriptions page for a particular airport. And worth clarifying ... I'm collecting airport usage fees (landing fees, touch and go fees, etc ...), not FBO specific fees. There are other sites for that.

And thanks to plehrke for the suggestion.

1727213917280.png

1727214225594.png

I just added a usage fees field to Fly-Walk-Eat for each airport. I'll populate the data for all the airports charging usage fees that I know of, but this web page is crowd sourced, so please click on the edit button if you know of an airport fee that's not listed.

If the fee is simple (ie. $10 per landing), you can enter that just after the check box, else you can enter the URL pointing to the fee descriptions page for a particular airport. And worth clarifying ... I'm collecting airport usage fees (landing fees, touch and go fees, etc ...), not FBO specific fees. There are other sites for that.

And thanks to plehrke for the suggestion.

View attachment 70973

View attachment 70974
Thanks Marc for whipping that up! Obviously a high value effort.

Good article, thanks Sam.

Note the matter is being decided at the local level, at every airport...mayors, city councils, airport advisory boards. Get busy now. Make friends in those circles so you have influence when the carpetbaggers show up in your town.
I brought this up at our last St. Augustine Airport Pilot's Association meeting. We talked about if it comes up for public comment, we will flood the meeting with our negative comments. Sitting at the meeting was one of the current airport board commissioners and one of the candidates running for the board this year. Boy they heard how displeased us local voting citizens are about this possibility. We wanted them to know how we feel, before they even think about implementing something like this. :cautious:

Our airport is County owned with an independent Board. It is part of the “Port” which is the Airport, Sea Port, large Industrial Park, a Rail Road, Air Museum, Camp Ground…..and various Leased spaces including Hangars, Offices, etc….
All Board meetings agenda and notes are published on their web site. Thus far, nothing reported.
I hesitate to call any attention to this. There are no pilots or aviation enthusiasts on the Board. They don’t need any ideas.
So, I’ll keep watching…… If anything gets proposed, we will spring into full attack mode!
I think that is the best we can do and if everyone can just keep their eyes on it and nip it in the bud, I think we can win on this at the local level.

Literally everyone should have it, IMO. I think the regs requiring it in limited circumstance were a half measure that didn't go far enough for safety. There's no excuse for not having a transponder and radio in 2024 - they are easily battery powered. Tradition and expense aren't good enough reasons.
Completely disagree with everything stated here. all that is needed is an onboard radio. Not many batteries that can power a transponder for any reasonable length of time.

Since most of these landing fees seem to be waived for residents/tenants, why would the board listen to locals about landing fees? It seems local activism is altruistic for transient pilots at best and that would easily be ignored by the local administering boards. An effort that would prevent or limit fees everywhere seems like the only answer.

Something else to think about is the number of privately owned airports that are barely getting by with basic services. I own a small public use airport in PA and the only income I get from transients is about $.50 a gallon for the fuel they buy. It takes a lot of 172s to pay for the cost of a fully EPA compliant fuel system, not to mention paved runway and ramps, night lighting, etc. Based airplanes cover the majority of those expenses with hangar rents, but they are barely enough.

In other words, you might think about frequenting small airports that really need your support. When I was starting out in aviation (53 years ago), there were 14,500 privately owned, public use airports. Over 10,000 of those have closed..........
I personally go out of my way to do this

One thing I have noticed over the last 40 years though, is the loss of reasons why to go there. Things like a great sandwich shop for example, or free to use beater to get into town for an ice cream.

Airport near me shut down a long standing burger joint that was a real attraction with its special burger of the week on saturdays. Really good burgers. Drew a lot of pilots/planes as well as people driving in from the local community.

The put a retail place in instead which draws zero people.

We are steadily loosing the communities that drew people to airports, pilots and non-pilots. Fences don't help, but nonsense like big FBOs that charge ludicrous fees and the concomitant loss of free/reasonable municipal ramp parking is another issue. We will see a knock on effect soon if we aren't already where grassroots aviation will just wither away, and along with it our next crop of commercial pilots.

Consider how professional lobbyists work. Attack mode is a last resort. A good lobbyist is a friendly face.
Don’t disagree Dan. “Attack” was a poor choice of words. I also don’t want to make a problem where it doesn’t exist, or give anybody any ideas that would otherwise be clueless. I will be vigilant and rely on diplomacy should it be required. . So far, so good…