gator

Wondering what some others were using for flaps, MAP, speed, etc when landing your RV8's?
I"m currently doing wheel landings with 20 degree flaps, about 11in MAP, and around 80 kts over the fence when by myself and have to pick the speed up to about 85 kts to get a decent landing with a passenger.
Seems like the faster the smoother....If I come in any slower I tend to get a bounce or two before getting firmly on the ground. Only problem with the higher speed is it takes a longer runway and I'd like to shorten the required distance.
Running a IO360 with MT 3-bladed CS prop.

Wondering what some others were using for flaps, MAP, speed, etc when landing your RV8's?
I"m currently doing wheel landings with 20 degree flaps, about 11in MAP, and around 80 kts over the fence when by myself and have to pick the speed up to about 85 kts to get a decent landing with a passenger.
Seems like the faster the smoother....If I come in any slower I tend to get a bounce or two before getting firmly on the ground. Only problem with the higher speed is it takes a longer runway and I'd like to shorten the required distance.
I use full flaps for all landings, except if there is a significant crosswind, when I'll use zero flap. I use 65 kt with full flap and 70 kt with zero flap if I am solo, and add five kt when I have a passenger. But, there is little point in comparing speeds, as the IAS for the same CAS may vary quite a bit depending on ASI instrument error and static source position error.

Whoa! Fast!

What's your stall speed solo, idle, full flaps. Mine buffets at breaks at 49 knots indicated. I find that solo the following works nicely. Full flaps, 67-68 knots, pull to idle over the fence and flair into a wheel landing. I operate out of a 2000' grass strip and use 1000-1200 feet of it with minimal braking.

If your ASI is good and your stall speed is anywhere close to 50 knots, then I would say that you need to start working your approach speeds down. If you are flying a flat (low) approach, then I would steepen it also.

Oh and don't sweat a minor bounce here and there. They look worse from inside.

Have fun.

I agree that you're approach speed sounds a tad high, assuming that your ASI is fairly accurate. I use 73 (knots) on final if I am flying to a runway with reasonable length. If I am going in someplace short, I can get it much slower - but don't get too slow with a passenger, or you'll get a real surprise when you flair - negative stick forces are not unknown!

Also, do a search for "Landing" in the RV-8 forum (only) - you'll get a lot of hits, but there are at least three long threads on the first page that are purely about folk's experience and techniques for landing their -8's. Well worth the effort to search and read.

Paul

Downwind abeam the end of the runway, power to idle, throw out full flaps, full nose up trim and start a 180 turn to final. Roll out on final as I cross the fence at 65 kts. Wheel it on at 60 (solo). If I have a passenger, add 5 kts.

When solo, this does require significant aft stick (about 80% travel) just to maintain airspeed in the turn, but it is enough to flare.

Kts or Mph ???

Just curious guy's... your speed discussion is all in kts...Van's publishes all speeds in Mph...my RV-8 Vso is 60 mph and I use an app-speed of 70 mph, works just fine...if you all are flying at 70-80 kts...then you are really smokin

-Zman

Just curious guy's... your speed discussion is all in kts...Van's publishes all speeds in Mph...

The universal language of aeronautics is knots - at least that is what my professors, flight instructors, and check pilots pounded in to me years ago.;)

If you work with ATC (IFR or VFR) they talk knots.

Manufaturers and racers like to use mph because the numbers are bigger.....which doesn't make their planes any faster!

Yes, smokin' is the feeling but it also gives me the best control for a really smooth wheel landing....working now on getting the speed down but still gettin the smooth landing but still tending to get some bounce.

I don't fly an RV 8, but will have a 7 when I'm finished building. I have over a thousand hours in a variety of taildraggers and was taught years ago to trim nose down, and then to relax the stick pressure at touch down.

The nose down trim will stick you on the runway and avoid bounces if the approach is flown fairly flat and then fast feet will keep you on the center line. The nose down trim made wheel landings very predictable and routine for me.