RFazio

Well Known Member
I now have over a hundred hours on my 6. I am happy to say I can consistently land her pretty well. That wasn?t the case when I started flying it. You may have read my post when I first started flying it. I was having trouble landing. I was bouncing the heck out of it and couldn?t seem to get it on the ground smoothly. My first landing was a 3 point landing and I somehow landed pretty good, but it was all down hill from there. I have flown a bunch of different aircraft and quite a few tail draggers. The usual Cessna and pipers while training, and then a Rans S-10, Tailorcraft, EAA bipe, Luscombe, Citabria, Skybolt, Pitts, and a bunch of different ultralights etc. I was always able to grease what ever I flew on to the runway. Even my friends RV-4, I had no problem, 3 pointing it every time. I have to say that landing to me was always the most fun part of flying. It takes the most skill and I just enjoyed it most. When I would fly my Rans S-10, I would get bored buzzing around the sky and always want to go do some landings. Then I got my RV-6 flying and I thought I had lost my touch. Here is my 2 cents for those interested. I in no way pretend to be an authority on this, but maybe I can help someone having the same problem.

First my 6 has the tall main gear. My friends 4 had the older short gear. Big difference in my opinion. The 6 with tall gear does not behave the same and I?m guessing any tail dragger RV with the tall gear will be the same. It does not want to 3 point. The aircraft sits at exactly the angle required to float down the runway to the lowest possible speed. A slightly higher angle of attack and it would be stalled. A slight lower angle of attack and it would sink onto the ground. Once on the ground the wings are so close to the ground that the stalled wing wants to still fly. In order to 3 point it on you must get it to a higher angle of attack than when it sits on the ground. This is really high and it is difficult to see down the runway. Plus it is awkward at this angle. It seems to slightly stall and then grab some air all of a sudden, making it difficult to float smoothly down the runway. I have never flown a plane that had this strange behavior. You can be 1 foot off the ground cruising down the runway bleeding off speed and all of a sudden she drops quickly, so you pull back on the stick and now your all up and down and out of shape.

I now routinely land it in a tail low wheel landing, as others have called it. I never liked wheel landings before. The aircraft I had flown could be landed very well in a 3 point attitude and that was the slowest landing possible. I liked landing slow. The 6 wants to wheel land. My problem in the beginning was that I was not lifting the tail enough after touching down and it was still bouncing along down the runway. What I did was to pick the tail up on a support while sitting next to my hanger. I leveled the plane and then got in and sat in it. The tail was way higher than I though it would be when sitting in the plane level. The next time I landed it I had the confidence to raise it much higher than I had been. This plants it on the ground.

My procedure now is to come in over the fence at between 75 and 80 MPH and slow it in a slightly tail low attitude and hold it there. Sometimes it still will do the, almost stall thingy, but I?m waiting for it and can catch it with more pitch if needed. I hold it off and gently let it down. I can tell when I?ve real greased it on when one wheel touches slightly before the other and I feel a slight yaw toward the first wheel to touch, then it yaws back slightly when the second wheel touches. I?ve never felt that in another plane. I think it?s the short wings that allow the slight yaw. Then as soon as it touches I lift the tail way up level. As it slows I can hold the tail off till I?m almost stopped if I?m using brakes. Then I let the tail down real gentle. I?ve heard guys talking about the saw tooth method of dropping the aircraft down slightly with each push of the stick till they touch the mains, but I haven?t had much luck with that. I seem to always bounce it when I try to get it on the ground this way. You must hold it at an angle that keeps you floating for a long time. Longer than and at a desent angle much less than most other aircraft. I think it?s the springy gear also. They are less forgiving of a little bounce and so really bounce you back up if you hit with any sort of speed.

Now that I?ve got some time in it, I went back to try 3 point landings again. I figured I could do it now that I was more familiar with the plane. I can get it to do 3 points but it just does not feel comfortable to me. She does not stall on like other aircraft I?ve flown. I think it is because the wings are so close to the ground and the angle of attack is so high when the tail is on the ground. To 3 point it I get the tail wheel to touch first, and roll down the runway with the tail wheel on the ground till she stalls on then full back stick. Even then it still seems to be real light on it?s toes and twitchy.

I have landed it at Brookhaven which is near my home airport Spadaro?s. Brookhaven is a very large airport compared to Spadaro?s. 4200ft runways compared to 2200ft. I landed once long cause I was going to the far end of the runway. I wheel landed and rolled out for maybe 1/3 the runway and let the tail down at about ? of the way down the runway. When I let the tail down it started flying again. I couldn?t believe it! It was floating just off the ground and I had to land again. Luckily I was still flying it and I made it seem as though I did that on purpose. So my vote is for wheel landings in the RV. The funny thing is now when I fly other aircraft I of course have that tendency to pick the tail up, when I touch down, and it works fine. But I do miss that floating down the runway and greasing on a super slow 3 pointer.

I have come to agree

I also was a 3-pointer, to the point of religion.

I have had similar troubles in the -8 that Richard describes. Especially with aft c.g.. with fwd c.g. it behaves pretty well in 3-pt. landing. At fwd c.g. wheelies are really easy.

I have also been surprised to ease the tail down when I was *SURE* it was through flying, and had it come off the ground again!:eek:
Lesson learned - hold the tail up until you are really slow.

I have finally gotten to where my 3-ptrs are better, by rolling the tailwheel on first by a little bit. This gives only a series of little baby bounces on the gear. Otherwise, the tail-low wheelie seems to work very nicely. It only took me 25 hrs to disavow my religion;)

Very Interesting!

Bob, I find it interesting that you note a change with your CG moving forward and aft. I know the CG change in an 8 is much greater than in my 6 because of the rear passenger. The CG range in the 6 is from 68.7" to 76.8". My CG operating range is from a most forward of 74.5" to most aft of 76.8". I'm always at an aft CG loading. I wonder how it would land with a 68.7" CG? Very interesting!

Very, very interesting........

I now have about 35 landings in my 6. It is so intense for me as I am training for my PL in this airplane. Don't have anything to compare it to as I have flown nothing else. Have been lucky enough to only have bounced it good one time resulting in a go around, but it certainly has my undivided attention on landing. Wondering if it is going to float a lot more when I go solo, bet it does. Looking forward to learning wheel landings.

90 Landings on Phase 1 So Far

I posted a Youtube video a few weeks ago showing what happens if you land with the tail high and then let it drop. The angle of attack increases and if you still have enough speed you are are flying again - a classic taildragger "jounce".

Trick is to "flare" in three point attitude just before touchdown - or be prepared to float in that attitude until speed bleeds and you settle onto the runway. If too high you may need to drop the nose and lift the tail again to maintain flying speed as you sink and then set the 3pt attitude again as you near the ground. Holding the 3pt too high could cause the plane to slow down too much and "drop out from under". You need a long enough runway.

Alternative is tail first and then let the mains down. Not as smooth - bump, thump - but at least the wings don't want to keep flying and you are down for good at that point. That might be the shortest landing technique.

If tail is high when the mains touch you need to go for a wheel landing - it takes surprisingly little forward stick pressure and my -6 tracks very well, at least in light winds. You don't need to have the deck horizontal - just hold it enough to stop the tail dropping further.

Just my 2c.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

Last edited:
landings

I appreciate folks who admit landings a are somewhat of a problem. While I do not have a taildragger, I have an RV6A which by actual count has over 1,400 full stop landings and touch and goes.

My landings are STILL like Forest Gump's chocolates: No two the same, and you never know what your're going to get !

But no structural damage yet.

3 point landings

I was under the impression that Vans designed the (A) airplanes to be landed on the mains only as the nose gear is more a taxi gear than a landing gear and mean't to be taxied in short field configuration to reduce stress to the front. I heard too much stress on the front leg caused potential folding?
Am I wrong?

I was under the impression that Vans designed the (A) airplanes to be landed on the mains only as the nose gear is more a taxi gear than a landing gear and mean't to be taxied in short field configuration to reduce stress to the front. I heard too much stress on the front leg caused potential folding?
Am I wrong?
In this context, three point landings refer only to tailwheel equipped RVs. Yes, the nosewheel RVs should never ever be landed three point, ever!