terry.mortimore

Well Known Member
Hi gang:

I picked up a used Lamar XT1201 starter for my O-320. I went to install it today for the first time and something does not seem right.

The drive gear is in the full forward position and will not rotate. I tried prying it (gently) back with a screw driver but it would not move backward or rotate. Almost felt like it was spring loaded.

I applied electrical power to it and the starter rotated, but the drive gear remained in the same position.

A sticker on the side says to service per Lamar Service information letter LS1-001. I've been to their website but could not locate this service letter.

This does not behave like any starters I've seen in the auto or heavy equipment areas, but thought I better check before I took it apart.

Is this normal operation for this starter?

Can someone point me to the Service letter?

Thanks in advance, Terry.

Terry,

I don't remember what position the drive gear was on my Lamar when I received it and I don't remember what model I had but on my Lamar the drive gear retracts when the engine starts and I don't know of another way to retract it. A real pain with an almost dead battery as it is very very difficult to prop an engine with an engaged starter although I have seen it done.

I had multiple problems with my Lamar like the rear bearing falling out and finally failures to engage. I like the modern starter I have now a lot better.

Normal behavior. The drive must be spun up by the engine in order to be driven back.

I recall in the mid '80s when I was learning to fly, our instructors told us, upon engine shutdown in winter, to kick the starter for a fraction of second in order to leave the starter engaged for the next (cold) start. That was in 160hp Pipers, don't know what starter they had.

I took the drive mechanism apart on my Lamar at around 500 hours, and lubed it up with some sort of silicone grease recommended for it. It was making some strange sounds and occasionally not engaging. No problem the last 700 hours since then.

Lamar starter, is this normal.

Thanks Guys:

The starter looks in good shape and I don't have a lot in it, so I think I'll put it on and see how long she lasts.

Tailwinds, Terry.