w1curtis

Well Known Member
L-3 announced a new standby instrument for part 23 aircraft at OSH that some here may find interesting. The AS, ALT and ADI in my planned panel total about $1600. In addition to the space they occupy, I've toyed with the idea of of just using a Dynon EFIS-D10A instead as backup. The EFIS-D10A is about $2200 and the pitot dependency gives me pause to rely on it as a backup.

This new offering by L-3 seem like a good alternative for backup (primary for some) since during the Aero-News interview the L-3 guy mentioned that the list price they are aiming for is around $1500.

This instrument will be fully certified for installation in part 23 aircraft. This does not matter much to most RV builders, but should provide some added confidence for some. L-3 does not have much about it on their site, but you can find the written Aero-News article here: http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=cc9c5906-fcf3-4764-ae3a-f7dc02699a99

I'm 99% sure you left one zero off that price ;)

As an FYI, "certified" does not mean "doesn't have external dependencies." The G1000/G900 ADAHRS requires GPS or Pitot to operate.

Hmm, now you got me thinking. I had to listen to the interview again. At time index 5:15 he said "...we listed at less than 15." He never did say "15 what". I can't imagine $15,000 for a basic standby instrument for Part 23 even if your primary is a G1000.
Not being able to imagine such an instrument being priced at $15K is one of the reasons I gave up on reading "FLYING" magazine years ago. You know that magazine that used to be THE aviation magazine to read? Anymore their stories discuss $2 MILLION VLJ's as cheap airplanes. I have come to the conclusion that to this jet set crowd a $15K backup instrument must be a bargain! :rolleyes:

I'm 99% sure you left one zero off that price ;)
Yeah, I would agree; that looks like a turbine-type standby ADI.

Really interesting that the experimental market has a unit that can act as a standby ADI, with a backup battery for $2,500. Sadly, we can't use this unit, even as non-required instrumentation in US certified aircraft, because it's not certified. I learned to fly in an airplane that uses this as the only flight instruments (The unit is the Dynon 10A, although there are other 3" units available).

How many lives could be saved if we allowed people to install non-certified EFIS as non-required instruments? Wouldn't this increase the margin of safety in an airplane that uses a single vac pump?

TODR

we listed at less than 15." He never did say "15 what".
I heard the same interview and I think he was talking in AMUs (Aviation Monetary Units). 1 AMU = $1000. :D

Seriously, if a TSO'd 2-1/4" 3-pointer altimeter costs $4,000 (that's what I was quoted), then IMHO there is no way this "certified" device will cost only $1500. Think about it another way; If you were to ask L3 what the cost of their new SmartDeck is, they will likely say "around 75", and they ain't talk'n $7500. :eek:;)

Last edited:
They make a point that this is specifically designed for part 23 aircraft--not part 121, not Part 135. I can see the $15K for Part 121 or Part 135, but for part 23? If the price is $15K, then L-3 is indeed out of touch with the Part 23 GA community and the world in general. Who in their right mind would spend $15,000 for a basic stand-by unit with no Nav integration, when you can get a complete certified EFIS WITH Nav integration from Aspen Avionics for $10K?

Last edited:
This is a bit of a re-hash, but consider all the factors of risk and weigh against price.

If you have a good heated pitot tube, the chances of it becoming plugged are truly minimal. Too, if you are paranoid you can go for dual pitot tubes. Because you are only guarding against blockage, the tubes can be teed.

You then have the fact that you are planning on using this as a BACKUP instrument. You only need it if you already had a failure - so BOTH would need to be broken for it to be unreliable.

Will you have an independent autopilot like a Trio or TruTrack? If so, I would say you probably have enough redundancy to be safe to several decimal places of probability.