rv767

Friend
Wondering if the Kuntzleman strobe pack will power the Whelen strobe light? Has anyone tried this combination?

Not exactly the data you were looking for, but I do have first-hand evidence that a Whelen power supply will power the strobe on the Kuntzleman combo tail LED/strobe just dandy. Can we assume the opposite would be true?

There's no reason why it shouldn't. Electrons are electrons.

Yes, and joules are joules....:)

You need to know the rating of both supplies, if one is lower on it's output then the light generated may not meet the quite clearly defined FAA standards.

The Whelen strobes also have some lens effect in their glass cap. This increases the relative light output in the horizontal plane to meet the aforementioned FAA standards.

Joules

Yep Gil, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I don't have the specs on the different strobe pack's output. Wanted to make sure a Kuntzleman output was enough to give the Whelen strobe enough oomph to be nice and bright.

Yes I was just speaking in terms of the wiring. Brightness is a different concern and my own take on that is who cares if it meets some FAA spec. There are thousands of spam cans flying around with rotating beacons as the sole anti-collision light (besides nav lights) and even if the other supply doesn't deliver as much power the visibility of said strobe lights is going to be far better than from those airplanes.

Spend your money on a Zaon. :) I have both models and they work great.

Last edited:
Yes I was just speaking in terms of the wiring. Brightness is a different concern and my own take on that is who cares if it meets some FAA spec. There are thousands of spam cans flying around with rotating beacons as the sole anti-collision light (besides nav lights) and even if the other supply doesn't deliver as much power the visibility of said strobe lights is going to be far better than from those airplanes.

Spend your money on a Zaon. :) I have both models and they work great.

Personal choice if you choose to ignore the FAR requirements of 91.205(c) for minimum requirements for VFR flight....:rolleyes: