Jeff R

Well Known Member
A while back I reported that I had a bad mag when I did my first engine start. Or, rather, tried to do an engine start. I obtained the Lycoming as new in 2008, so it was certainly out of warranty, but I contacted Champion to inquire if they would honor a warranty as this was a first start and it failed. They said the problem might be due to corrosion but, if not, they would honor the warranty. However, they said, I needed to return the mag through Lycoming, as Lycoming was the distributor from whom the mag was obtained.

So I called Lycoming. "Sorry, but no", they won't honor an expired warranty even for a product that their OEM said they would accept, and even with the fact that all they had to do was pass on the mag to Champion for evaluation.

So I go back to Champion and they say, "ok, send it to us". If they find corrosion, they will send it back to me unrepaired. If the mag is indeed bad, they will fix or replace.

That is one very fair deal, even beyond fair, and one I appreciate very much. It would be easy for them to deny the warranty coverage and, unlike the other guy, they didn't, which says a lot about the company IMHO.

And not only that, after I asked, they said they would not deny the extended warranty coverage if I open the mag up and checked for corrosion myself! (Not sure I know how to do that, but maybe someone at the airport does.)

I don't blame Lycoming for not honoring out-of-date warranties, but let this be a cautionary tale to those who purchase engines in advance. I never thought back in 2008 I wouldn't do a first start until 3-1/2 years later, but things happen.

The fellow that runs the service dept. and writes the new documentation is a first rate guy. Fair and honest to a fault. Don't pass up a chance to hear his talk at Osh and visit him in their booth.
Too bad he reps such caveman designs......:rolleyes: