trib

Well Known Member
I'll be flying into Roanoke, VA, KROA for the first time this weekend. Any advice from a local concerning who/where to park for a weekend stay or any other handy advice? I generally (always) avoid class C airports so am a bit green here and appreciate any help. I see Landmark is located here and wonder if that is the only option for GA parking.

I'll be flying into Roanoke, VA, KROA for the first time this weekend. Any advice from a local concerning who/where to park for a weekend stay or any other handy advice? I generally (always) avoid class C airports so am a bit green here and appreciate any help. I see Landmark is located here and wonder if that is the only option for GA parking.

I am not a local, but I have family that lives in Roanoke so I have been in there a few times. The folks at Landmark are very, very good and will treat you like royalty. Yes, gas is high.

As far as the airport..it has been virtually dead every time I've been there -- almost no airplanes. I did end up nose-to-nose with a CRJ on a taxiway but that was the only time I've ever really seen another airplane. My class D home base is much, much busier.

I have not been there since the Large Aircraft Security mierda was implemented, so I'm not sure what changes have been put into place.

Just be sure to review class C ops. You will call approach in the air when landing and give approach the ATIS. They will then hand you off to the tower. On departure, call clearance with the ATIS. Each time I've done it the clearance folks have just cleared me to taxi...it's the same person working ground.

When they clear you for take-off they will give you a heading to fly, then almost immediately on upwind they will clear you to your desired course, or at least that has been my experience there.