Tom Maxwell

Well Known Member
I am visiting relatives in the KRAP area. My wife and I came up from Houston by car. We grew up in this area and will be here for a couple of weeks. I am building a 7A and just getting started on the wings. If there are any builders/fliers in the KRAP area who wouldn't mind showing me and my elderly father their project and around the KRAP airport, I am willing to buy breakfast/lunch/coffee. I am not looking for a ride, just to look at some more projects, either complete or in progress, and talk about flying around the black hills area (Mount Rushmore, Badlands, Custer State Park, the lakes, et el). Give me a call at 348-3168 if you are interested in shooting the bull over a cup of coffee.

KRAP is Rapid City, South Dakota, for those wondering.

Boy, I'd think their tourism board would really want that changed ;) .

b,
d

Description of South Dakota?

Harley guys might take issue with describing South Dakota as KRAP. The summer Sturgis Rally has survived for 60+ years due to the beauty of the Black Hills! ;)

Hmmm Let's See...

Bob Collins said:
South Dakota?

No, it's appropriate as is.

:p

Gosh Bob,that is a little mean spirited! I have to admit that S.D. doesn't have a lot to offer but most of the people living here like it that way. I think they changed the signs at all points of entry to, "Welcome To South Dakota! Please set your clocks back 25 years." :) But again, most people seem to like it that way. In all seriousness though South Dakota is a great place to raise a family and the Black Hills are very nice. Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments are pretty neat. If you like white-tail hunting the hills are beautiful and the eastern praries are great for mule deer, antelope, and pheasant. There a good number of Californians selling their million dollar cracker boxes and building gorgeous mansions up in the hills. It gets pretty cold here in the winter (not as bad as northern Minnesota) and the summers are really nice.

Now let's see, Minneee SOOOTA. The land of 10,000 lakes with the slogan, "Send us your welfare recipients, we'll gladly take them. Bob Collins is happy to take care of every one of them." Talk about a welfare state, Minnesota could be the poster child for welfare states! High taxes, and oh yes, the second most infamous governor of all times, second only to Arnold of California.

All kidding aside. I like Minnesota a great deal except for those B52 misquitos that breed in all 10,000 lakes. Now give S.D. a break will ya! ;)

Tom--
In case you've got time on your hands and haven't already done it, the Needles highway (road?) is a beatiful little drive--it's been 20 years since I drove that, but I still remember it. Also, I'm not sure, but Ellsworth AFB used to have a pretty good museum if I remember correctly.

You're right, the Black Hills part of SD is beautiful. On the otherhand, the rest of it looks like southern Minnesota! (Just kidding, Bob! :D )

Back to Tom's original post...

Does anyone have any RV projects going in Rapid City for Tom to look at?

Haackeye said:
Harley guys might take issue with describing South Dakota as KRAP. The summer Sturgis Rally has survived for 60+ years due to the beauty of the Black Hills! ;)
yeah, but the Harley guys get to leave after the rally. :D

and the only reason I say KRAP is OK for S.D. is because it's too late to give it to Green Bay. :p

How many more?

Bob Collins said:
yeah, but the Harley guys get to leave after the rally. :D

and the only reason I say KRAP is OK for S.D. is because it's too late to give it to Green Bay. :p

Come on Bob! Are ya just tryin' to be nasty! How many more states can ya trash? No wonder no one wants to come to your bar-b-que at Oshkosh!

Haackeye said:
Come on Bob! Are ya just tryin' to be nasty! How many more states can ya trash? No wonder no one wants to come to your bar-b-que at Oshkosh!
Easy now. It's just a joke. Minnesota-SD-Wisconsin rivalry. Thus the emoticons.

The BBQ is doing fine. Come. Don't come. Your choice. It ain't a favor.;)

Tom Maxwell said:
The land of 10,000 lakes with the slogan, "Send us your welfare recipients, we'll gladly take them.
True, though in St. Paul we refer to them with the more politically correct term: farmers .:D

Last edited:
alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Does anyone have any RV projects going in Rapid City for Tom to look at?
Using Doug's fabulous White Pages, I found one guy in Rapid City listed:

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]South Dakota
[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rapid City
[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Petersen, Belsaas[/font] [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 605.348.1871[/font]
Looks like he's flying a 9 QB