Rick6a

Well Known Member
I will likely attend AirVenture for a single day this year and have a question about something I have never dealt with before. This year, I will ride along as a pax in a twin Baron. I am looking forward to introducing 3 friends to their very first Oskhosh experience and it will be on the last Friday, Saturday, or Sunday of the convention, wx permitting. We plan on arriving in the morning and depart sometime after the airshow. One of my friends is handicapped and will require an electric wheelchair. I called ahead to one of the vendors and that should be no problem. My question is this. Since (per notam) the sign displayed on the windshield will be GAP meaning general aviation parking, how close is that to the wheelchair vendor located at Gate 346 near Red Lot? I am concerned about getting the wheelchair to the airplane for use by my handicapped friend. Thoughts?

GAP is quite a hike from gate 346, especially for someone who requires a wheelchair. I would call the electric chair vendor and see if they have any suggestions. Also, there is a designated handicap parking area in GAP, however I don't know how close that will be to gate 346.

You might also give convention HQ a call and see if they can help:

http://www.airventure.org/about/h.html

Handicapped camping

Right up front and close to registration and gate 346 is the area in the North 40 set aside for handicapped camping. There is always room there and I am almost sure you could park there for the day. It would only take minutes to walk to the vendor and return with a wheelchair. A call to EAA should confirm this.