tkatc

Well Known Member
My Koger shade (slider) is great, however, the velcro that holds the shade to the forward rollbar always "unsticks" itself. Perhaps I should just get velcro with better adhesive but which kind? I have read about drilling into the rollbar to screw in velcro buttons but I worry that would weaken the structure.

What have you guys done? Surely I cant be the only one with this problem.:eek:

Thanks Vlad. They are mostly talking about the track along a Tip-up canopy. I am talking about the 6 stick on velcro pieces (3on each side) that hold the front of the shade to the rollbar.

Hi Tony

The Koger kit comes with a drill and matching tap. You can probably find a small drill and a corresponding tap at a parts store.

Best,

Simple solution. Mix up some 5-minute epoxy and glue the round velcro "buttons" to the rollbar. I had to do this and they stayed on for 8-9 years, and had to reglue one of them.

Ok, I used the 5-minute epoxy and it worked for a year. Now the warmer temps are melting the velcro tabs off of the canopy roll bar again. This time I will tap and drill them. (Well, Vlad will!!) I want to know when you use the Velcro dots, do you still use the adhesive or do you leave the backing on and just secure with the screw?

Foam tape

Tony,

Before you take drill bit to roll bar, have you tried foam tape? 3M makes a double sticky foam tape for outdoor use that's pretty impressive. Can get it at any hardware store.

T.

silicone

Silicone double sided adhesive tape, find it at hobby lobby. Basically it is silicone that stays soft and very very sticky, heat doesn't bother it. I use this to hold my gyro on my r/c 60 size helicopter. Now that's adhesive abuse there, vibration, heat, fuel. It will not come undone.

bird

Drill and tap with

about a #4-40 tap. Just be VERY careful not to break the tap off in the hard 4130 steel roll bar :(. My advice is to use a slightly larger than normal drill bit. You really don't need a full thread profile to hold the velcro dots on...