rv9aviator

Well Known Member
KMA20 Audio Panel

I have a friend that just bought a Yankee. He has offered to let me fly it whenever I want to stay current. It has a Bendix KMA20TSO audio panel installed. I understand it has an intercom built-in. He said he can't get it to work and I suspect it might not be voice activated and has a push button somewhere. Can someone explain how this unit works as far as the intercom?
:confused:

Last edited:
The KMA 20 DOES NOT have an intercom built into it. There is either an seperate intercom or none at all. From your description, I'd guess the latter is true.

I had a KMA 24 with an intercom in my Cherokee. King had a choice back then ('89) that you could get marker beacon indicators or a voice activated intercom, but not both. I got the beacons, but it did have an intercom that had a switch setting to activate it. It was then necessary to key the mics to talk. It was not voice activated. I suspect the KMA 20 might be the same setup.

Roberta

There is a three position switch com1 com2 and EXT. I wonder if the EXT position is for intercom??? I got the information that the KMA 20 had an intercom by googleing it so the information might not be accurate. There is also an old NAV COM radio that says ICS Plus on the front. I've never seen that particular Nav Com and it might have a built in intercom also. I am trying to get my hands on the logs and any manuals for the plane. Maybe I'll learn more then.

Thanks Folks

Kma-20 Options

This web site has lots of info. on the various options/part numbers/dash numbers for avionics.
Just click on their "INFO" button by a part listing.
Great if you are buying anything off E-Bay..... gil in Tucson

http://www.seaerospace.com/

Here is the KMA 20 info...
Doesn't seem like the KMA 20 has an intercom options...

KMA-20 Part Number Audio Panel Description

066-1024-03 Standard version with marker receiver/lights and lamp test
066-1024-04 International version with marker receiver/lights and lamp test
066-1024-05 International version with 2 ADF (no DME) selections, MKR and lamp test
066-1024-06 Beechcraft version without marker receiver/lights, with lamp test
066-1024-07 Beechcraft version with 2 ADF/no DME selections, no MKR, with lamp test
066-1024-08 Piper version with no DME, 1 ADF, COM1/COM2, 2 MIC selections only
066-1024-09 Piper version with no DME, 1 ADF, 4 position MIC select switch only
066-1024-10 Piper version w/ no DME, 1 ADF, 1 HF switch & pos. MIC select switch only
066-1024-11 Piper version w/ no DME, 2 ADF, No Auto, 5 position MIC select switch only
066-1024-12 Radio Telephone Version with AUTO and 4 position MIC select switch
066-1024-13 Piper version with 1 ADF, 4 position MIC select switch
066-1024-14 Piper version with 2 ADF, no DME, 4 position MIC select switch
066-1024-15 Standard version with red lighting and lamp test
066-1024-16 Standard version without marker beacon receiver and lights

Update:
I just figured out the intercom is part of the nav/com radio. It is an ICS brand sold by Wag Aero in the 90's. It is a digital radio and has a glide slope, Localizer, and intercom built in. Ive read the radio is OK but not laid out very well and hard to read. Does anyone know if the intercom is voice activated or not. I still have not located a manual for it.

Thanks

Cool, I would suggest picking up a PSe audio panel and a KX155 off the used market, but I'm one of those guys that has to have confidence in my radios. I don't like it when things go silent or (perhaps worse) when there is too much static :).