Christopher Murphy

Well Known Member
I bought the data cable and an keyspan adapter with the hopes of updating the data base myself. My notebook computer does't have a 9 pin serial port so hence the recommended keyspan adapter.
I uploaded the data loader software and tried to get the data base key number from the GPS unit as directed by the software and manual.. Problem is I get a msg on the GPS that the data loader is not ready. I talked to the help desk and they took me through the steps to check the keyspan adapter which was connected and operating. They say the wires to the data plug might be wrong... bought unit from Vans prewired.... before I start opening wire bundles, has anyone else had this issue. I have to think its a problem with the computer interface( keyspan).. any ideas?

Chris M RV4

Chris,

Its a couple of years since I did this last on my KLX-135A, but it worked as advertised. Do you another piece of computer equipment that uses a serial port (so you can test the adapter)? It did all take a little while to complete, so don't rush things, but mine worked by reading the instructions. Do you have the serial port to round plug in the panel wired correctly? I had to make that myself.

Pete

klx 135 a

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have another computer with a serial port but I am trying to find one to use to try again before I get into the wiring.

The data plug was already wired by who ever did Van's harnesses 10 years ago. I have the diagram and its pretty simple but I am trying to avoid getting into the wiring bundle.

I followed the instructions and even went through it with the tech guy on the phone. ITs either the computer with the keyspan adapter or the plug not wired correctly I was hoping there might be some little thing that I was missing.

Thanks again.