flickroll

Well Known Member
There is no marking on the small Klixon circuit breakers to indicate the line or the load side of the device. I assume the bottom terminal of the breaker is the line side, but am not sure. Thanks

Jim Shannon
RV-8 N52VV
Charlottesville, VA

Hi Jim,
for what I understand, CB have no polarity so you can use either terminal for the load or line.

Happy new year!

Happy New Year Claudio!

The reason I asked is because the Potter & Brumfield breakers are marked for Line/Load. Maybe it doesn't matter on the Klixon's?

Jim Shannon
RV-8 N52VV
Charlottesville, VA

In the industrial work we do, we make every attempt to wire top-down, left-to-right. That is, power on the top comes out on the bottom, power on the left comes out on the right.

I agree with Bob Nuckolls' write up in Matronics.

I think the other...

In the industrial work we do, we make every attempt to wire top-down, left-to-right. That is, power on the top comes out on the bottom, power on the left comes out on the right.

I agree with Bob Nuckolls' write up in Matronics.

...way might be a bit safer... with the power IN on the bottom side.

Gravity always ensures that the tools you drop fall downwards...:) ...and a input side buss bar is always hot when the master is on.

If the screwdriver falls on the OUTPUT side of the breaker, all it will do is trip the breaker.

A minor detail, but given the choice, I think it is slightly safer, and just as easy to do. Bob N's article does not specify the "wire top-down" you mention.

Last edited:
Something else to consider...

...and this depends on where and how you mount the CB's...if they are located so that the back side wire attach screws are accessible (say, from under the bottom of the panel). You will find that one of the screws is easy to get to, the other not so easy. Or, do you plan on removing the CB regardless to get to the attached wires??

If the former, then do you want to have access to the hot side, or will it be the protected side?? I like Mel's comments on unintended gravity assisted tool placement.