Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
(Hey fellow Mods ? DR has approved this posting?.)

Have you ever had one of those moments where you found yourself in the air, wishing you were on the ground (instead of those moments where you found yourself on the ground, wishing you were in the air)? Anyone with much flying experience has ? we all know that. And I assume that most of us have read the popular columns such as ?Never Again?, ?I Learned About Flying From That?, and their similar incarnations in other magazines.

Well, at Kitplanes, I am planning on starting a similar feature ? but with a purely homebuilding twist. What I am looking for are stories where the (ahem) ?problem? was a direct result of something unique to experimental aircraft ? build errors, modifications that didn?t quite work as planned, construction errors, or designs that didn?t pan out. I will volunteer, for an example, my own incident in our RV-3 where an improperly installed (by me) fuel valve handle lead to a whole lotta? quiet in mid-air ? and a safe landing on a gravel road.

I am hoping that once we get this feature kicked off, we will see many people from the experimental community at large submitting their stories, but because of the nature of publication lead-times I need to prime the pump. I know that with the wealth of experience here on VAF, there are numerous stories to be told for the education of others. And that is the point ? education. If you have had a moment of fear (if not terror) due to a build error, share it with the community to prevent others from walking down that same path.

Articles for Kitplanes can be submitted by anyone who can string together about 1500 words in a cohesive fashion. We do edit for readability and spelling, so don?t worry if you?re not a pro ? if you are a builder and have written for the internet, you can write for us. And the story does not have to be just about RV?s ? I know we have many here who have built other kits and from plans ? the field is wide open!

Please send your submissions to [email protected] . I promise to read them all, and look forward to building a library from which we can choose.
I now return you to your exclusive RV programming?.

Paul Dye
Editor in Chief
Kitplanes Magazine

I've got one

Back in the early 90s I flew for a kit manufacturer that produced 2/3 scale, all composite P-51Ds using an automotive powerplant. I have a couple of "interesting" flights from back then. I'm not much of a writer, but I'll see what I can string together.

This is a bloody good idea, Paul. There have been several write-ups on VAF, and other model-specific forums, about various 'events' for want of a better term, but the outcome of a mod on a Lancair can be equally applicable to a Kitfox builder.

Anything that shares knowledge to a wider audience is a good thing.

Keep 'em Coming!

Surprisingly, I have received two stories already - and I only made the request less than 24 hours ago. If you have written something for the "Safety" forum here on VAF that relates to a building decision (or error), you might already have the core of a story.

Remember that Kitplanes has NO staff writers - only contributors. You can be a part of the "Kitplanes Family" pretty easily...

Paul

I drilled a #30 hole in my own left shoulder once...amazingly it didn't hurt as nearly as much as the #40s I drilled into my fingertips...