Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Next Best of? Experimental Panels Photo Contest

No matter what you built and fly, it probably has an instrument panel. Even the Wright Flyer had a few instruments ? simple as they were ? and while Experimental aircraft in the US are?t really required to have anything, most builders lavish a great deal of time and attention on the part of their airplane they look at the most.

We?d like to see your best panel pictures ? and remember that best picture is not the same as best panel. Who can really say what the best panel is anyway? For some it is the one that cost the most money. For others, it is one that is laid out for the easiest operation. Many think that symmetry is essential in a panel ? and others just love anything with a wood grain, a leather combing, and a little brass that is typical of an old-timey biplane reproduction.

Be proud of your work, no matter if it is VFR or IFR ? we hope to see as many Peitenpol and Baby Ace panels as we see those from Lancairs, Sportsmen and RVs.

Head on over to Kitplanes to enter your photo for consideration - our editorial staff will winnow down the entries and put them out for a vote. Folks - in addition to fame and fortune, there's a $25 Aircraft Spruce gift certificate at stake!!

Hi there Paul, you might like to consider restricting this contest to builders who have designed/built their own panels rather than had them designed and fabricated by professional avionics companies. Otherwise it simply acknowledges those who have the fattest wallets rather than the best building skills.

Hi there Paul, you might like to consider restricting this contest to builders who have designed/built their own panels rather than had them designed and fabricated by professional avionics companies. Otherwise it simply acknowledges those who have the fattest wallets rather than the best building skills.

I think that's already been addressed by Paul.

Next Best of? Experimental Panels Photo Contest

We?d like to see your best panel pictures ? and remember that best picture is not the same as best panel.

Paul, seeing as you've asked on VansAirforce for panel pix submissions it might be an appropriate outcome if the winning entry was also posted on this thread. Is there a winner yet.

My guess is that the Pietenpol Air Camper is not going to cut the mustard. :)

Most builders these days aspire to solid state razzle-dazzle with the more bling the better.

Last edited:
One of the nicest panels I've seen was in a Hatz. I've seen bunches of glass cockpits that were expensive, unattractive and had obvious human factors shortcomings. But, having written several articles on panel design, I'm surprised that so many otherwise wonderful airplanes have poorly designed panels.

Who won best panel

So what was the panel that finally won...can we see a photo. Seeing that submissions were asked from RV builders on this forum it might be appropriate that the forum finally sees the winner.

Bob, why not just head over to the Kitplanes site to find out? The winners are visible to the public using the link given by the OP. It doesn't look like they've posted a winner yet.

Bob, why not just head over to the Kitplanes site to find out? The winners are visible to the public using the link given by the OP. It doesn't look like they've posted a winner yet.

They asked for entries in October 2015. Maybe they didn't get anything worth reproducing.

In my opinion, Kitplanes should not be using this site to promote their business. Moderator Paul, yes. Editor Paul, no.

In my opinion, Kitplanes should not be using this site to promote their business. Moderator Paul, yes. Editor Paul, no.

...but Paid Advertiser Kitplanes Editor Paul is good to go, along with EarthX, AircraftWraps, Garmin, SteinAir, and all other paid advertisers.

You there Paul

Paul, why don't you post a photo on VansAirforce of the panel that won the contest....is it a secret ??? I'm sure many VansAirforce members would like to see it.

Paul, why don't you post a photo on VansAirforce of the panel that won the contest....is it a secret ??? I'm sure many VansAirforce members would like to see it.

No mystery, no secret - and no, I don't get a chance to see all of the threads on VAF every day Captain. This contest didn't get enough entries to make the selection very meaningful, so it was not completed.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.