jdmunzell

Well Known Member
I just partially read my new June Kitplanes magazine and ran across some interesting articles and some reader responses. The reader responses refer to the April issue which I don't have.

What I would like to say is that I enjoyed reading both Dan Checkoways' and Bob Collins' articles. I don't know what took place in the April issue, but I do refer to Dans' website on a regular basis. I'm building an -8, but the -7 wings are pretty much the same. Dans' detail on a lot of the issues I have come across so far on the wings, have saved me many a call to Vans to find out about something. Even if he is a "mere first time builder" like most of us, his communications ability in publishing such a useful website for the rest of us with all the detail that is there is a very useful tool. Also impressive is the speed with which his RV-7 was built! Very impressive indeed, but hardly a situation I can relate to...

This is where Bob Collins comes in. First of all, the way he tells the story of his relationship ( and isn't that really what it is for all of us?) with his airplane under construction, is pure mastery! ...and a story I can very much relate to. So far, I am year 7 into my project and am still working on the wings! Such things as kids and sports and family outings and vacations.... and yes...even working, have helped contribute a bit to the long journey this has become. Do I regret any of it? Not for one minute!!! I thoroughly enjoy my family and kids and being a Dad and all that. I also enjoy my retreats to the "mancave" as often as I can to get a little therapy with airplane building, and furthering my relationship with these "parts". I've had airplanes before, and I have had relationships with every one of them. It's not beyond me to give my machines an affectionate pat, and talk gently to them as I would lovingly debug them after a flight. And hardest of all, saying goodbye to them when it was time for us to go our separate ways. "Relationships" they were, and a very accurate term as well.

Bob and Dan, I appreciate very much what both of you guys bring to the table. Dan, it also sounds like maybe life is slowing down a little bit with the -8 tail kit. Keep us informed of your new project, and I look forward to your tech. articles. Bob, your journalism background shines right through and I really enjoyed your "relationship" article. I identified with most of it right down to teaching my 12 yr. old how to rivet together a practice tool box, so he can now help me rivet! Your writing skills are right up there with Lauran Paine and Gordon Baxter, and it doesn't get much better than that. I particularily liked the part about sitting in the back of a pickup at "Ardy and Eds" , with some RV friends watching planes flying overhead! Been there...done that!

Life really is good isn't it, no matter how quickly or slowly we build our airplanes! After all, we are all part of the RV family and community...all of us!;)

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. Baxter and Paine? Wow. That's about as nice a thing as anybody ever said to me. Here's a picture of the best time at Osh I referred to.

This is a wonderfully diverse group... getting more diverse all the time. Everybody has a perspective to offer. In the end, we answer only to our ourselves and our hearts.

Into each project, in my opinion, we put a little bit of ourselves. That's why I think the bottom line on building for me is "to thine own self be true."

Out to the hangar!

Last edited:
"Multi-Tasking"

Reading the story about the two, then three guys, naked in the OSH showers discussing the finer points of operating a Cub gave me a great laugh! I think that I was laughing at myself because I did the same thing with another PA-20 owner at Watsonville, CA a few years ago! Come to think of it, maybe it is just the owners of rag wing Pipers who have this proclivity.
I guess when it is all said, we are truly equal through our passion for these great machines.

The mental image of that

Is really quite disturbing..

As a young friend of mine is fond of saying..."Thats so messed up!'...:)

thanks

Your a heck of a writer Bob. Good read. Thanks.
DM
:)

Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. Baxter and Paine? Wow. That's about as nice a thing as anybody ever said to me. Here's a picture of the best time at Osh I referred to.

This is a wonderfully diverse group... getting more diverse all the time. Everybody has a perspective to offer. In the end, we answer only to our ourselves and our hearts.

Into each project, in my opinion, we put a little bit of ourselves. That's why I think the bottom line on building for me is "to thine own self be true."

Out to the hangar!