duckguy

I'm New Here
Hey guys, my name is Matt and I'm from Madison, WI. I just recently passed my private and have been looking around at purchasing. After a lot of consideration the 7 seems perfect. I found this very close and it seems like a great opportunity.

http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_646519_RV-7A+Kit.html

So I don't know a darn thing about building a plane. I would love for you guys to share opinions on how it looks, how much more you think I would have to go, advice encouragement etc.

I know I need to buy the finishing kit. Has electric flaps and the flop tubes. Wings,rudder, flaps, ailerons are done. Can I still do an autopilot?

Welcome duckguy

Welcome to VAF and congratulations on passing your private!
I am building a 9A with a slider on it and we (my wife) are currently building the left wing. I can?t tell you yet on how it feels to finish the build but the building is mostly (except fuel tanks) enjoyable. If you would like to see how it looks close up you can PM me and you are welcome to come to my place and look at my project. I live in Brookfield, WI. Don?t forget if you like this site and plan on using it to donate to Doug. We want to keep Doug in business so he can support this site. It has been very useful to me.

Don't kid yourself. You are talking about building a substantial fraction of an airplane. The FARs allow this for your "education and enjoyment". Ask yourself, "Would I enjoy this kind of work?". If the answer is no, then you will find it drudgery of the worst kind. Much better to buy a finished, used RV-7 or 7A.
If the answer is 'yes', then either go for it, or even consider starting a new kit. But don't underestimate how much time this will take.

Personally, I loved the building process. You may too. But be honest with yourself. If you just want the plane, buy one already finished.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Hey guys, my name is Matt and I'm from Madison, WI. I just recently passed my private

Matt, welcome aboard the best site on the internet for things of an RVsih nature:D

Yes, you can add an autopilot at anytime in the build---- only time it gets more difficult is after the panel is done and installed.

Good to have you here.

PS Since you are new to this don't underestimate the cost.
You need all the avionics, engine instruments, radios. Including autopilot if you so choose.
You need the engine and prop.
and the finish kit.
And painting, if you so choose.
And interior.

1. Do you know any builders to visit in your area?
2. Do you have 20-40hrs per week for the next 2-4 yrs to spend building?
3. Do you have the disposable income to complete the project. est.$40-80K
4. Have you ever committed to a long term project and completed it?
5. Do you enjoy fabrication and seeing something grow from your own effort?
6. Is your family ready to help or take a back seat to the garage mistress?

Welcome aboard!

I would note that often kits at this stage sell somewhat below their original cost. Not always, but it is common. The market for partially finished kits seems a little soft. Makes sure you want a tip-up, as that is what you are getting. Also, if you aren't experienced in such things, find someone who knows what "excellent" work looks like. There have been some things passed on that shouldn't have been. I have seen two. Also, make sure you aren't missing parts! Basically, it might be good to have an experienced person go over this for you. I would bet someone here could do that.

Bob

Just passed private ticket?

I'm building an RV-9A and LOVE it! We (brother-in-law) have been at it for 4 years, and I'm still married, happy at work, and not in the poor house.

*BUT*

Here are a few tips:

1. Building is NOT cheaper than buying. If you want an RV-7 to fly, BUY a flying RV-7. If money is a concern, buy a C-150, Cherokee, or C-172.

2. Your new ticket is actually a license to learn. You might want to build some time now.

3. Cessnas and Pipers are not fast, but they are fun.

4. Building can be a GREAT hobby. But it is a hobby. Building is not flying.

Cheers!

Dkb

Last edited:
Have fun with your build

Matt,
Have fun with your build. What is better than being able to fly in a plane you built? Take it step by step and don't let those that sound like they are trying to talk you out of building spoil your fun. If you have your pilots license, you are a smart person and understand what you are getting into. It may cost the same building or buying, but with building you don't have to pay it all at once and you get to make it how you want.

Good luck and have a great time building. It is a much better use of time than watching TV!

Matt,

You've gotten a lot of good advice so far. One thing no one has mentioned is the manual starts with directions that almost tell you which hand to hold the tool in and slowly assume you know the processes. By the time you get to the canopy (the worst part of the build, imo) the directions are pretty sparse. You're going to be jumping in when the directions are fading away. I don't mean to scare you off but want you to go in with your eyes open.

Matt - I was in shoes very similiar to yours 4 years ago... I was wrapping up my private ticket, and not really caring for what was available locally for rent. I went to a fly-in breakfast, and a "flock" of RV's flew in. After flying all my hours in a beat up 172, I really wanted one of those cool planes.

I did a bunch of reasearch and then jumped in with both feet and ordered my tail before I finished my private. Over the next four years, I built my plane and a few hours. While it was quite a learning experience, I wouldn't trade it for the world. It may sound funny, but I am a better person having taken on and finished a project of this magnitude. I have met some of the nicest and most helpful, not to mention resourceful people along the way.

If you really want an RV, do the research and go into this with your eyes open. Be realistic about the amount of money and time you can devote to this project. After really examining it, if it feels right for you, jump in.

BTW - I'm just a bit south of Rockford, while I can't take you for a ride yet (still working on those 40 hours), please feel free to shoot me an email and come and take a look at an RV-7A (tip-up) up close.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Last edited:
Available to inspect it with you

I have a flying RV-6 and have helped a friend on his -7. My plane is located in Stoughton, WI, half way between Madison and Janesville. I would be glad to look over the kit with you for a second opinion. I'll send you a private message with my telephone number. If you just passed your private you probably need an introduction flight in an RV, I think I can help you out with that as well. You need to know what you are getting yourself into.:D

Kit

I did this several years ago and got quite a great deal: kit to QB stage, new engine, new prop, finish kit, and all sort of other goodies & tools.

Then, I chose to convert mine to RV-8 (was born at Vans as an 8A).

Well all that to say, with work schedule and family I have worked on it now over 2 years and still have 2-6 months to complete. I'm also an experienced A&P.

As has been said it is a lot of work. But if you enjoy it that makes all the difference. You probably have at least 500-800 hours of time left in the build in reality.

Prices are very competitive these days for anything that flys so consider that into your scenario.