tkatc

Well Known Member
How does one know what to add or delete from a kit when ordering? I stumbled onto an option I would have ordered with my -8 fuse had I known it was an option and not standard. The rear seat throttle kit. I only now know its optional because there is a small note in my plan instructions mentioning it.

I will be ordering my finish kit soon enough but I don't really know all the parts that are included. Will Van's send you an inventory list beforehand so you can look it over? I just ordered a Todd's canopy so I know I'll be deleting that. Not sure about cowl or induction orientation yet. What else should I know?

Yes they will send you an inventory list. I did it for my 7. I deleted the cowl, air box and also a bunch of firewall forward stuff.

Tony, if you plan to do your own panel, order a second blank. They are not expensive and odds are you will need it :)

Add and subtract

After reviewing some quotes from Vans on what I needed for a finish kit , it was less money to purchase what I needed VS subtracting what I did not. I went with a Sam James cowl , plenum , wheel pants , Todds Canopy and Cleveland Wheels and brakes, Good Year tires .The parts for the finish kit from Vans were ,motor mount , canopy frame and canopy components ,spinner , baffle , leg fairings ,wheel pant hardware ,empennage fairing , aprox $2100 and 10 days to Fl.
All said and done it was less money spent than purchasing Vans Finish Kit.

I did fabricate my own Canopy Skirts , Vans don't fit Todds very well and cost $600 .

Tom

I did fabricate my own Canopy Skirts , Vans don't fit Todds very well and cost $600 .

Tom

Good post! How hard was the fabrication part? With my limited skill set it might be easier for ME to buy Van's skirts and mutilate them to fit.

Skirts

I can email you some photos of the process . I formed skirt mold with some .010 aluminum roof flashing from Lowes , then layed up 4 plys of 8.7 oz glass cloth using West Epoxy . Perfect fit to the canopy .
I ordered the West Epoxy , cloth , and Sika products from Jamestown Dist. a boat building supplier , they price match any legit lower price.

PM me you email and will get you photos .
Tom