prkaye

Well Known Member
Does anybody know if there is a boat kit that uses similar skills to building an RV? Thinking like an 18 foot motor boat for 6 to 8 people for sunday cruises up and down the Rideau River.

I have seen boat kits before. They use more wood and fiberglass rather than aluminum. You can build anything from a small row boat up to a fairly large sailing ship. Unfortunately I can not remember the manufacturer. But if you search on Google for boat kits you might come up with something.

Allan Stern
RV-6A getting close

What was that magazine with all the off-the-wall kits advertized in the back like making your own hovercraft, boat and such... Popular Mechanics I think?

Van's Boats

I've thought for a long time that if Van wanted another product line that "fit" their capabilities they could design a line of small boat kits, from canoe's to small boats designed for an outboard motor. Same materials, same technology...just add another shift of workers and away ya go.
I'd buy one...

Search for aluminum boat kits on google. There are quite a few companies out there but most are welded together. The wooden boats are very nice looking, maybe it's time to pick up a second skill set.

If you send away to West Systems for all of their fiberglass documentation, there are a number of boat projects showcased in there. You'll want their docs anyway -- the basic manual has basically everything you need to know to do your cowl/empennage/wing tips.

I've enjoyed the fiberglass work on the RV, but building a whole glass airplane is probably too much for me. A boat might be a nice middle ground.

There was a small article and picture in the RVator a couple years back which showed how an RV builder used his new found sheet metal and proseal skills to build a small boat. I don't remember the size but probably less than 8ft. I will find the issue if anyone is interested.