WingedFrog

Well Known Member
It really feels great to turn from fence sitting to active member of this great community of RV builders. After going through a flawless inventory (kudos to VAN), I have a question:
- Among the fastener kit, I have a number of bags pertaining to the Empennage/tailcone hardware that, for some of them, contain a mix of parts. I intend to transfer the content of these bags into an organizer with drawers and I wonder if I should keep these parts organized by bags or if I could sort them by part numbers. I suspect that the regrouping into bags may be helpful for easier access during the building of specific components but I am not sure.

Also, looking at the 3 view drawing of the complete plane, I found out that the overall length is 26'5" while my workshop if 24' long. I know that the empennage needs not be installed permanently and same for the spinner but it is not clear how long the plane is without these two components. The issue is: will I be able to do the FF work in my workshop?
PS: sorry for the "frown smilie" it is unintended and can't get rid if it!

Last edited:
I intend to transfer the content of these bags into an organizer with drawers and I wonder if I should keep these parts organized by bags or if I could sort them by part numbers.

This is a reoccuring question. Its your choice - really no correct answer here. For me and my -7A, I preferred sorting by part number and then relying on the plans to tell me which pieces of hardware to grab. Just seemed more organized that way than having a mix of parts, but its really just a mental preference.

erich

The instructions give out the part numbers (never refer to the bag #) throughout the instructions. If you separate them by part number, it might make it easier for you. I leave them in the bags, and don't have much of a slow down.

As far as workshop length: Leaving off the epennage pieces (mostly the horizontal stab) will save you only about a foot or so, but it would still be a tight fit.

HOWEVER, you don't end up attaching anything forward of the firewall for a very long time (engine kit!) so you have time to solve it.

-Erich

Hi Vieille,

I found that the only way to find a part that is not familiar to you is to use the nomenclature called out on the drawing and then find it on the detail inventory list supplied with the bags of hardware. To make this simple I use plastic boxes with 24 compartments each and then produce labels for each bin like this;

Bag 2811-1
BOLT
AN3-10A

The top line is the bag number and the number behind the - is the line number of the item in the bin, in this case it is the first item listed in Bag 2811, the second line is the general nomenclature such as bolt, rivet, clamp or the like and the last line is the detailed part description.

If you know that you are looking for a washer (I assume most of us would know what the item is) and need a particular size the detailed nomenclature will allow you to select the correct washer.

If you are uncertain about what the drawing is calling out then you can look at the Bag Inventory and it will tell you that the item was in Bag 7321 and was the third item listed so we could just find the bin labeled 7321-3 and it would have what we need. If the bins are in the same order as the Bag Inventory then it is simple to find the correct Bin.

Good luck with your build.

Best regards,
Vern

Fear not--the length in the drawing is wrong

Also, looking at the 3 view drawing of the complete plane, I found out that the overall length is 26'5" while my workshop if 24' long. I know that the empennage needs not be installed permanently and same for the spinner but it is not clear how long the plane is without these two components. The issue is: will I be able to do the FF work in my workshop?

That drawing is off by about 6 feet--the length is only about 20 feet, not 26.5.

My shop is not big on space either. I have just installed the engine, and once I fitted the tail feathers I took them all off to save space. I measured today - exactly 18 feet from tail to prop flange. The spinner will stick out another foot.

I also recommend delaying the empenage to fuselage mating as long as possible. It's much easier to do the fuselage wiring and plumbing with the fuselage up on its side.

re: bags

I did what Vern did. I labeled the bin by bag number except I didn't put the description on it. I'd locate, in the inventory list, what the plans called for then go to that bag numbered bin. What I found, most of the time, was that Van's wouldn't bag items that were pretty close in size in the same bag. I figured this was to try to prevent mis-identification.

Marshall Alexander

It really feels great to turn from fence sitting to active member of this great community of RV builders. After going through a flawless inventory (kudos to VAN), I have a question:
- Among the fastener kit, I have a number of bags pertaining to the Empennage/tailcone hardware that, for some of them, contain a mix of parts. I intend to transfer the content of these bags into an organizer with drawers and I wonder if I should keep these parts organized by bags or if I could sort them by part numbers. I suspect that the regrouping into bags may be helpful for easier access during the building of specific components but I am not sure.

Vans Drawings show the Length is 19' 11''.

Install one wing at a time .

Joe Dallas
WWW.joesrv12.com

Last edited: