n38139

Well Known Member
Anybody looking at the KT74 for an ADSB solution, price is good which is unusual for new King avionics

I would, except that I'm holding off for a few years, to see if a low cost UAT comes along.
I believe the guts of the King are made by Trig.

Anyone have one of these yet

Need to replace my transponder and this looks like a decent options.
Spruce lists them backordered till Feb 2015?
Have they been released yet?
One other question I can not find on Kings web site is if it still requires a blind encoder?

I am using a KT74 with the Dynon D6 being used as the encoder. The Garmin G3X system output is in a non-standard format, and subsequently will not feed the KT 74 altitude data. I am also feeding the KT74 with a GNS430w. This solution complies with the ADSB out requirement which was verified with the FAA in flight. I have been using this for 6 months with no issues.
I purchased the KT74 from GCA, they had it in stock. The transponder is made by Trig, and is a clone of the TT31, just a different display. It is a very nice looking unit. Garmin recently reduced the price of their 330ES but it is still more expensive than the 74. It is also 1-2" longer, which eliminated it as a candidate in my panel.

Last edited:
Anybody looking at the KT74 for an ADSB solution, price is good which is unusual for new King avionics

Price for the Trig TT31 is even better and they are basically the same unit (Trig makes the KT74 for king).

Also looking at the KT74

Price for the Trig TT31 is even better and they are basically the same unit (Trig makes the KT74 for king)

Walt, do you happen to know if the ADS-B configuration stuff on the KT74 is the same as the TT31? Bendix King unfortunately will not let mere mortals have access to the installation manual for the KT74 (I asked to get one - they said no).

The way I read the ADS-B configuration stuff in the TT31 installation manual it looks like a normal GPS can be used to feed the position information for ADS-B out - not compliant for 2020 but works for the moment. I looked through the Avidyne AXP340 install manual (another Trig TT31 repackage) and the configuration mode stuff was virtually identical to the TT31 manual.

To me, the advantage of the AXP340 or the KT74 over the TT31 is the user interface - push buttons for squawk code entry rather than the twist knob/enter button used by the TT31.

Dan, pm me with your email, I will send you the manual. The KT74 is a real nice interface with the keyboard push buttons. Bendix was supposed to have released new software to comply with the STC they were working on over the summer. I have not spoken with them lately to obtain a copy of their STC, nor how to get my unit upgraded with the latest software. Quite honestly I really don't care since my system configuration seems to be operating properly with the current software. I did have to upgrade he 430w to the latest SW. I suspect you could input any GPS source for the interim, but eventually a certified position source will be required.

Walt, do you happen to know if the ADS-B configuration stuff on the KT74 is the same as the TT31? Bendix King unfortunately will not let mere mortals have access to the installation manual for the KT74 (I asked to get one - they said no).

The way I read the ADS-B configuration stuff in the TT31 installation manual it looks like a normal GPS can be used to feed the position information for ADS-B out - not compliant for 2020 but works for the moment. I looked through the Avidyne AXP340 install manual (another Trig TT31 repackage) and the configuration mode stuff was virtually identical to the TT31 manual.

To me, the advantage of the AXP340 or the KT74 over the TT31 is the user interface - push buttons for squawk code entry rather than the twist knob/enter button used by the TT31.

Not sure about the KT74 but I do know the trig will accept any GPS input currently (I used Garmin portables with no problem) and their install manual is available on their website.

I agree on the push button interface, however I'm just not sure thats a good enough reason to get in bed with them.

B/K Pirep?

Thanks for the info Walt. I looked through the configuration section in the KT74 installation manual (Thanks Bill!), and it appears virtually identical to the TT31 configuration section. No big surprise given it's linage. Looks like it should work the same way as the Trig.

Does Bendix King have a reputation as hard to work with? They certainly weren't very helpful to me when I contacted them as a potential customer. Does their gear have a bad reputation?

Does Bendix King have a reputation as hard to work with? They certainly weren't very helpful to me when I contacted them as a potential customer. Does their gear have a bad reputation?

I've not had a lot of experience with them, but from the experience I've had, I wasn't to impressed. I tried to pick up a King dealership back when they anounced the KT74 as I sell a fair number of transponders, but after months of getting nowhere with them, I finally gave up. The dealers I have talked to complain about the price of repairs and repair parts, but the equipment itself is generally pretty decent.

Last edited:
Dan,
I can tell you they are not like Garmin. They really won't talk with you unless you are a dealer. I was able to a contact whom I worked with and provided feedback to. I met him at Sun and Fun. I just sent him an email requesting the status of the STC software release. This was to have included new system software. This unit is basically designed by Trig Avionics. It is serviced by the same service center in Wichita. I have spoken with them regarding some of the configuration settings.
The 74 looks so much better than the Trig display. Had I been able to slide the GTX330ES in the panel, that's what I would have done. I was replacing a 327, and there was not enough room to accommodate the length of that unit. Having said that, it is working just fine and has been for over 6 months.

KT74 info

Thanks for the additional info guys. Knew the unit was made by Trig which is a plus I think. Like others I really like the buttons instead of the knobs.
Need to get a copy of the install manual as well and that is where King has always been a pain as far as the experimental community goes. They just do not want to deal with you.

The knobs really get in the way for me in the RV-4, caught one of them with my foot getting in the other day. Hence the need for a new transponder :-(