RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello everyone

Are there any of you with experience with the King KLN 90B GPS?

I thinking about installing one as a cheaper way to get GPS approaches and IFR capabilities ( require 2 separate IFR source here in Canada to get the a/c IFR certified ) to complement my SL-30 in my RV-4..

It will be connected to a Dynon Skyview.

I would like to know how complicated it is to use for an approach and general operation?

If anyone has a manual in PDF format and wouldn't mind sharing it , I would appreciate.It will give me the chance to familiarize myself with it.

Thank you for your imputs

Bruno
[email protected]

KLN-90B

Bruno,

I used the KLN-90B a long time ago in a Lear-55. As with all avionics, there is a learning curve, but I remember liking the unit. I Googled it and someone has a Youtube "how to use it" video, and there is a manual at www.bedichek.org/cfs/KLN90B.pdf You may be required to use an Annunciator Control Unit (ACU) with it.

Hope this helps,

I have a KLN90B in a Comanche 250 that I co-own and fly about 80 hrs a year. It is a very good IFR gps and will give you a lot of info once you get past the learning curve of how to find the information. However I would want at least one moving map ( I pad or portable gps) other than the KLN90B as the map on the KLN90B is not good at all compared to anything out there in the portable market.

You don't want to be out there in IFR with nothing but a KLN90B and a VOR receiver!

John Morgan

KLN 90B

Hi Guys

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks, it is appreciated.

Merrill : I saw that little video on Youtube, it's pretty good, it gave me an idea on how to operate it and it doesn't look too complicated I must say,I should figure it out fairly quickly..Do you know if there is a training video available anywhere?

Why exactly will I need an ACU with it?

I will look at the web site for the booklet.

John: The KLN-90B will be hooked up to my Skyview and I also have an Avmap GPS also connected to the Skyview so I hope to be able to figure out where I am ..As you said, the moving map as it's called, is really a strech of the term ''Moving Map''. I have the same on my present KLN-35A and it is pretty close to useless..

Again thanks

Bruno

Be sure to understand if the Skyview can properly integrate with the King unit.

King does weird stuff with their units and it may or may not work with the Skyview. I would check with Dynon to be sure.

The ACU was required by the FAA TSO in some units, for annunciation and for some button pushing, e.g. going into approach mode. It had to be mounted within some nominal distance of the pilot's field of view. IF your skyview can interface with the main box, you may not need it, IF the skyview can provide the annunciation and button pushing.

[Side note: later Garmin models (400 series) didn't need the external ACU because they have the annunciation built into the unit. However, some people are unaware that because of that, the TSO specifies that the main box must be within a certain distance (left-right and up-down) of the main PFD or AI to meet the TSO standards. This information is in the installation manuals. Garmin sells an external annunciator for installations that don't meet the requirements.]

KLN 90B

''Be sure to understand if the Skyview can properly integrate with the King unit.

King does weird stuff with their units and it may or may not work with the Skyview. I would check with Dynon to be sure.''
--------------------------------
Thanks Brian, I will make sure to do that..

John : Hopefully once I check with Dynon, I will know if I need the ACU, hopefully not as I don't have the room for it.

Thanks Guys

Bruno

P.S: I've put a post on the Dynon forum and standing by for a reply, will let you guys know when I do..

Last edited:
KLN-90B OUTPUT

I've put a post on the Dynon forum and Support came up with these questions....

''output capabilities (does it have an RS-232 output? ARINC-429 output?) of the KLN 90B. If it does have a compatible data output, is there a compatible data format? ''

Since I don't have the installation manual, I can't give them the answer..would anyone here have the installation manual and provide me with the require info so I can pass it on to Dynon??

Appreciate the help

Bruno
[email protected]

Just the fact that Dynon was not able to say "Yes" is enough that if it was me, I would be cautious of getting my hopes up.

KLN-90B

I used one VFR for a couple of years connected to my Tru-trak. It worked great, but I didnt install the control buttons to arm it for approaches etc since I was only using it for VFR. Updates were expensive. Not sure they're still available.

You're looking at 1980's technology. If you're going to use it for IFR, I believe I'd opt for more modern equipment---:eek:

KLN 90B

Hi Guys

The more I look into it, the more I'm moving away from the KLN 90B..

Like Mannan says, it is 1980's technology so I'll just seat back and reconsider my options..

If I could find a good GNS 400 at a good price, it could be an option..

Thanks everyone for your feedbacks

Bruno

I read somewhere on the forum that Garmin is going to sell 400W 's for, I think, $4K, but only to G3X owners. Perhaps you can hook up with one who doesn't want or need it, and have him buy it for you.

GNS 400W

Hi Bob

Yeah it could be an idea but I'm not sure yet if I wanna fork 4 big ones for a new GPS...People buying G3X in my neck of the woods are pretty rare at least I don't know any yet..

I just saw one on E-Bay that was going for $2000.00 up to 2 sec to the end of the auction and bam..$3100.00 ...Some people need to learn how E-BAY works...and that was for a strait 400 not even a W..

I'll keep looking..I might find one from someone who wants to upgrade..I don't really need the Waas model..

Thanks

Bruno

I wouldn't sell the WAAS short. At many airports it gets you significantly lower minimums, as well as being easier to fly (like an ILS instead of a non precision approach). Also I don't know the Canadian rules and what you need, but here in the US the FAA considers non WAAS gps as "supplemental" navigation equipment.

WASS vs NoN-Waas GPS

Hi Bob

Thanks for the info.

The limits are more my own than the GPS itself...I fly for a living with every gadgets in the store and I wouldn't fly a single in what we could call low IFR ..I will be looking more at around a 1000'AGL as a ceiling vs 200/ 1/2..

But as you say tough, WAAS make the GPS perform more like an ILS than a non-precision approach and that is something to consider.

Thanks

Bruno

P.S: I will check with TC reference the regs that applies in this case...

Last edited: