emuyshondt

Well Known Member
I am looking for an IFR GPS and I have a chance to buy either of the subject units. The price is within $100 and less than $1,000. Is one significantly better than the other one?

From what I can tell you can split the screen in the KLN90B, but both units seem to provide similar actual navigation features. The 89B is usually cheaper, but the 90B seems like it can be more complicated to use.

Though I have my instrument ticket, I don't foresee ever doing much real heavy IFR flying. I have seen some of the newer GPS units but the price for one of these seems right and they will probably do the job. Here in Texas once you can't see, there are probably bad thunderstorms ahead of you so it takes more than good instruments to get through the soup. I do want to be able to fly under IFR rules legally and perhaps occasionally go through some clouds.

Before I picked up my -89B, I looked at both as well. The display on the -90 is a bit crisper, however, the -89B is plug compatible with the KLN 94. I figure that if the 89B dies, I can replace with with a color -94 that is still in production. If the -90 dies, you'll have some wiring to do.

-Brad

Thanks for the input. That seems to be the consensus everywhere I look.

I also hear that perhaps it would be better to go for a Garmin unit since they are newer and the database upgrades are much less expensive than King. They also lokley will be supported longer than the King units that are already out of production.