DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I had not found the ignition key for my Skyview panel key switch, a friend did not get one either. He called Vans and they told him that Vans does not furnish keys for the start switch. That seems silly, has anyone else got their keys, and where were they packed?

I got two - in a small bag contained in Bag 2863 (I believe.) They have serial numbers. That's the bag with misc stuff like fuse holders, fuse labels, and the Control Module adjusting tool.

I immediately tried them in the Ignition Start Module (AV-50002) and they fit. I have them in my bureau top drawer awaiting the "Big Day!"

That would be a strange answer, if true - if you don't get them from Vans, where would you get them???

I have wondered if they were "generic keys", and if not, how many different locks are produced. My John Deere tractor, for example, and Honda riding mower - have "keys" that are the same as everyone else. I call them "No-Key Keys."

Bob Bogash
N737G

From many years in a flying club, I accumulated different plane keys. After I had about a dozen, I found that there wasn't any plane on the ramp that one of them would not open.

I thought the same thing for about a month. Turns out one of the builders (this is a high school build) had hung them on a nail and I thought they were keys to a tool box. I'll bet they are there somewhere.

Bob

Bag 2863 had two keys.

Curious, my keys have serial number A126 on them. How many of you have the same serial number?

Along the same lines where is the tool used to adjust the fine adjustments from pitch speed to auto-pilot movement? These are on the side and aft of the AV 5000A.

I thought I had one but it was labeled an extraction tool for the larger electrical connectors used in the wing/fuslage mating.

I recall Bill H. mentioning how he had to access the aft side of the AV5000A to adjust trim speed by loosening the control panel master switch to reach the little screw adjustment. Then a follow-up note someone said you could cut the adj. tool to access the adjustment location.

Thanks

Uh! Oh! A126, eh? Checked mine. Just as I suspected - they're John Deere No-Key Keys.

First, there was no canopy lock. And now, it seems any gym locker key will work the ignition. I think I'll take the left wing with me when I go into town.

Hey - if I see any of you guys poking around hangars at KPWT, you better hope the cops get to you first.....

Oh yeah - the adjustment tool is in Bag 2863, along with the No-Key Keys.

Bob Bogash
N737G

OK, search is over. I had not yet opened bag 2863 and they were hiding between the velcro strips and stuff. Mine are finely machined to fit my starter switch - and apparently all you other guys as well with a number 126 stamped on them! Look out when I am in your area!
Thanks to all that pin pointed where the darned things were hiding.

Canopy Lock

Don you better bring something better than that silly little key.

My JR12M ( or whatever ) will have a Keyless roll bar lock and no exterior handle or side lift tabs.

See prototype Latch www.joesrv12.com/rv12/photo/A_04_01_02.jpg
A_04_01_02.jpg

This latch will be imbedded in the center of the Roll Bar with all appropriate reinforcement with an electric pull down motor, weight is less than 1.8 lbs more.
When the lock is released the canopy will open about 5/8 of a inch.

It will also have a Safety Backup system to open if motor fails

My phone # 727-857-9812 For all helpful constructive comments.

Disclaimer I am not recommending anyone to trust my information as we discuss the changes I make to my RV12 Please assume that I am wrong and confirm any info with a reliable source. Build your plane to the plans for the safest results.

Look out when I am in your area!

Last edited:
My JR12M ( or whatever ) will have a Keyless roll bar lock and no exterior handle or side lift tabs.

This latch will be imbedded in the center of the Roll Bar with all appropriate reinforcement with an electric pull down motor, weight is less than 1.8 lbs more.
When the lock is released the canopy will open about 5/8 of a inch.

It will also have a Safety Backup system to open if motor fails

Will there be a way for emergency responders to open the canopy from the outside in case you are incapacitated?

Development

Mel

This is something I am still working on.

( To open If the pilot can't ) A safety open button could be added to the outside of the aircraft that is enabled when the pilot is inside the aircraft.
This however would not solve the problem if the power is off or the lock is jammed
A mechanical release could be added that only works if the pilot engages it on the pre flight check list.

Or better yet a mechanical release outside the aircraft that that auto engages when you open the aircraft and has to be disengaged when you lock the aircraft

Assuming the aircraft is not upside-down

Any Suggestions are welcome.

Or I could tape a sledgehammer to the wing

Joe

Will there be a way for emergency responders to open the canopy from the outside in case you are incapacitated?

Last edited:
Bag 2863 had two keys.

Curious, my keys have serial number A126 on them. How many of you have the same serial number?

IIRC, the A126 refers to the lock type, and is not the key code. For older folks, you may be interested in knowing that the same key type and lock is used on the Amiga? EPAM device.

The keys may be cut differently, but still be the same key type.

So, if you should lose your keys, how do you get a new key? My cars have key codes the dealer can use to make new keys. Guess I better have a few extras cut "just in case."

Bob Bogash
N737G