f1rocket

Well Known Member
I'm planning to fly the Rocket down to Key West next week sometime (April 24-28, 2006) depending upon the weather for a couple of days of R&R from work. The wife is making her first cross country trip.

Any advice from experienced south Florida flyers about going out and coming back?

I used to go two or three times a year across the gulf from GPT but that was in a twin. When I go in the Rocket I plan to follow the highway.

Take lots of money report turning final at the cruise ship and have fun. Lots of great food and drink and absolutely marvelous fishing.

Get ready for lots of half naked young girls wanting to oogle your Rocket. :cool:

I live in Naples, FL. I usually follow the coastline down to the southern point. I make sure I have enough alt before I cross over Marathon so that should I lose an engine, I can glide to shore.

From then on, I stay SOUTH of the road (US1) in order to make sure I don't risk going into the weather balloon. Navy approach will handle FF from marathon and they are great to deal with.

It's a fun flight, and if you need fuel, tank up at Marathon instead of Key West to save some $$$ :) Rosie

PS: Be sure to stop at Camille's for breakfast, and be sure to have the "Decadent French Toast with Godiva white chocolate cream sauce..."

Last edited:
I took my wife to Key West from Savannah almost two years ago. It was her first flight with me. We rented at 172S with Nexrad weather. It was my first cross country with me as PIC and a passenger. We flew from Savannah to Marco Island (MKY) which is about 80 miles due north of Key West. We spent the night in Marco and departed for Key West the next morning. Being a new pilot I filed a flight plan and initiated FF immediately (I still do both). We flew along the coast the entire way down there and avoided the weather balloon. It was an unbelievable flight. We stayed down at about 2,500 or less just for the view. It took less than an hour from Marco but who was in a hurry! We didn't have any reservations. We asked the Taxi cab driver where we should stay and he took us to a very B&B. After Greece this was probably our best trip! After 4 days I was ready to head back and we were feeling bold. We filled a DVFR flight plan and headed straight from Key West to Marco. 80 miles of open water. We had our PFD's with us in case we had to ditch. I asked many people in Key West and Marco about flying straight across and they said there were so many boats along the route that you had you choice where to ditch. We also had Nexrad. The weather download is key for VFR pilots and Florida weather. We left and had to avoid two small rain clouds along the way but we had no problems. I would probably go straight from Marco to Key West all the time except if I was taking somebody to the Keys for the first time. Fly along the coast on the way down and shoot straight across on the way back! Good Luck and let us know how it went!

I just got back from spending the week down there. The trip was great and the wife, who never flys, enjoyed the trip down and back much more than expected. I have some interesting observations regarding tandem versus side-by-side seating for a spouse who doesn't like to fly.

Once I get caught up on things I'll post the details.