bizjet

I just finished an article in my latest Pro Pilot mag and there is Kevin Horton in a picture. Seems that he is the Transport Canada rep for Bombardier's test of a neat new vision system. Mentioned by name, too.

I fly a Gulfstream with a HUD and an EFVS system, but what Kevin is testing is another level of sophistication and capability.

I envy your assignment Kevin and I'm happy to be flying the next best.

Regards,

Bill

If this is not appropriate, feel free to modify as you wish. It's just that Kevin is fine contributor here and I wished to acknowledge his experience. The stuff he's doing is really neat.

Kevin was down here in Savannah working with Gulfstream as the Transport Canada rep a few years ago!

One of the other guys in the picture sent me a link to the article. Bombardier and Rockwell-Collins are working on some interesting technology, and I've had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. I did a lot of EVS flight testing as that option got approved on the Global Express, and I've participated in quite a few evaluation flights of the SVS as it has been developed.

The Equivalent Visual Operations (EVO) concept mentioned in the article is a long ways off. The technology has to come much further, and there would need to be significant regulatory changes to allow it to be used. But, it is good to have a goal, and progress is being made on both the technical and regulatory fronts.

I wouldn't knock Gulfstream too hard. They were the first to get an Enhanced Vision System in service that could get operational credit, and they have had an SVS option in service for awhile too. They aren't standing still either - they are also working on improved SVS and EVO.