uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Just returned from the AAA Fly-in at Blakesburg (great event by the way) and am working on keeping the spouse happy which means comfortable in the RV. She does not like flying but being comfortable helps a lot and I am down to a few issues one of which I think I have an answer for (footwell heat buildup, need insulation on inside of firewall)) but one I could use some input for and that is the headset, she has tried the Zulu and now the Bose and has the same problem with both that is 1. the clamping force and 2. when she has the ear-cups placed so that they are comfortable for extended periods there is about a 2 inch gap between the top of her head and the headband in the smallest closed configuration. With the headband on her head the ear-cups are down lower pressing on her jawbone. What I would like to find is a a smaller headset with features similar to the Bose with low clamping forces.
Any ideas, suggestions or personal experience from significant others appreciated:)

I highly recommend

either the Clarity Alofts or the Halo. I just bought a used set of CAs here online because of how well they work. Both are in-the-ear type and I can wear them for hours on end, no joke, over 3 hours and never touched them at all. For work we have the Bose and I have to adjust them every half hour or so. If she ever tries the in-the-ear type and gives them a chance, she will love you even more! :D

YYMV

:eek:

Bose QC-2 and A uFly Mike

My wife tried every headset in my inventory, and had the same complaints about all my regular aviation headsets. As i was ready to throw my hands in the air and surrender, I came upon the U-Fly mike for a Bose QC-2 headset.
I already had the headset (which can be had on E-Bay for about $150-$200), and the mike is $225. You have a great ANR headset and a happy spouse for under $450!!
They work great, and my wife can wear the headset for hours with no complaints.

My wife tried every headset in my inventory, and had the same complaints about all my regular aviation headsets. As i was ready to throw my hands in the air and surrender, I came upon the U-Fly mike for a Bose QC-2 headset.
I already had the headset (which can be had on E-Bay for about $150-$200), and the mike is $225. You have a great ANR headset and a happy spouse for under $450!!
They work great, and my wife can wear the headset for hours with no complaints.

I fly with the QC-15 (new version of QC-2) and u-fly mike for 16 hour duty days, then Deadhead home listening to my ipod on the QC-15. This has been the best combination I've found. After I fly with a guy and he tries my setup, next time I see him... bose&u-fly mike. It's that good. U-Fly mike is a Southwest guy and his wife. They are great to buy from.

ADDED: Bose&U-fly mike connected with the provided audio cord to an Ipad = less then Bose X. Your wifes favorite shows downloaded on the Ipad for that 2 hour flight... priceless!

* I carry earplugs to comply with TSO requirement (because this was going to be asked by someone). Not needed in your RV.

Last edited:
Great feedback

Thanks for the feedback, the in ear solution will probably not work as she does not like any of the ipod type in-ear phones. I do however already have a set of the Bose QC headphones that I use when traveling and they seem to fit her well and I know they are comfortable. I assume they handle the noisy RV environment OK?
Now off to check up on the u-fly mike setup :)

foam?

You could the gap between her head and the band on the Bose with a couple of layers of dense The headset could sit on her head with the ear cups in the proper place via the foam.

I've owned both the Clarity Aloft and the QT Halos and they are both great for my wife because they're comfortable and they don't mess up her hair! :rolleyes:

Between the two there is NO COMPARISON!!! The Clarity Aloft's are SO MUCH higher quality that I bought a second set for myself! The Halo's did the job but didn't have near the audio quality or the mic quality that the Clarity Alofts did.

I have a set of Bose headsets I never use now because the Clarity Aloft's have become our "A" headsets. They're that good!

- Peter

Try the in ear

Thanks for the feedback, the in ear solution will probably not work as she does not like any of the ipod type in-ear phones. I do however already have a set of the Bose QC headphones that I use when traveling and they seem to fit her well and I know they are comfortable. I assume they handle the noisy RV environment OK?
Now off to check up on the u-fly mike setup :)

I agree with your wife, the iPod ear buds are not comfortable to me either. My Quiet Technologies Halo came with several types of ear plugs but I prefer the soft foam plugs. You need to roll them between your thumb and index finger to get them in, then they expand to form to your ear. I have worn them for hours without any discomfort. I was not 100% sold the first time I wore them but at the end of that first flight I realized I couldn't tell I had them on.

Give them a try.

Looks like a plan

Yeah I checked the web site and I have the older QC-2 version so I am good to go. My wife tried them on and now it looks like I will be needing another pair for myself :D