WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
Here's what I have now. Early on I bought a new SL40 from Stein and a new SL30. Later, I settled on the following and again Stein gave me a great deal.
Full Dynon package
Two Skyview 10s.
Dual ADAHRS
Arinc 429
Roll and pitch servos
Backup batteries
Mode S
Heated pitot
GPS and mapping license.
Vertical power VP-X electrical management
Garmin 430 Waas.
PS Engineering PMA5000ex audio panel.

So, with that setup, I don't want to sell the SL30 before flushing out any reasons to keep it vs the SL40. I'll end up selling one of those. Do I need to keep a backup VOR/LOC when I also have two independent Skyviews and the 430W. IFR is the plan. :confused:

Last edited:
You say "IFR is the plan"

The 30 will do the VOR thing, and the 40 will not.

They both take up the same panel space.

The 30 does everything the 40 does, and more.

Still wondering??????

Another option

Now you guys don't blow me out of the water for this, but...

If you don't feel the need for a backup VOR you could keep the SL40, sell the 430W & SL30 and put the $ towards a GTN650.

Just a thought...

Mike, he has a 430W in the plane that will do VOR/ILS/GS. So the SL-30 is a backup.

Mike, he has a 430W in the plane that will do VOR/ILS/GS. So the SL-30 is a backup.

Yes, I saw that.

But, the sl 30 can back up the 430 in both com and nav ability, the sl 40 can only back up the com side of it.

Also, I did not see mention of an audio panel.........

When you go bear hunting, do you carry a 22 for a back up, or a 45???

Go for the big gun:D

Keep SL30

I have a GNS430W with Dynon D180. The SL30 is the backup comm and backup nav. With the SL30, the nav mode shows a localizer/radial. So in essence, it's my backup comm, nav, and display.

Don

I think you ought to keep the SL40 and sell that ratty old SL30 to me for about $500...

The SL30 is actually a better source for VOR than the 430W in that it can provide the Dynon with with more info and it also will provide the Dynon information about the standby VOR when in monitor mode.

Since the Dynon has the ability to pick and choose what nav source is driving what needles on the HSI, you could do this with the SL30/430W combo:

Have the 430W driving the main HSI needle with a localizer signal.
Have the SL30 "active" driving one of the RMI bearing pointers pointing to a cross fix VOR.

Or

Have the 430W GPS monitoring a localizer based approach.
Have the SL30 "active" driving the main HSI needle with a localizer signal.
Have the SL30 "standby" driving one of the RMI bearing pointers pointing to a cross fix VOR.

Or any combo you might think of since you can assign any Nav source to any of the three needles available on the HSI. (Main CDI, Bearing1 & Bearing2)

Keeping the SL30 adds two additional VHF Nav sources to your mix. The SL40 adds none....

If you really, really, really want WAAS capability, fine, keep the 430W. I find its winkin', blinkin', button pushing fiddle-faddle complexity a massive distraction, with a screen that can prove troublesome in some light and has placement restrictions. That's what my red -7 has in it, and proficiency (which I've yet to achieve) will fade quickly. It's almost as bad as a G1000.

My blue -7 has an SL-30. I really, really, really, miss the monitor feature the 430W lacks. Use it all the time. I've yet to do a WAAS approach, and if the chips were down, I'd pick the easy of using the SL-30 over the 430W any day of the week.

Keep the -30. I bet you use it more than the 430.

John Siebold

Can't do a monthly VOR check on the 430 against the SL40.

I have this exact problem in my aircraft. I don't know the price difference between the two, but if the money is already spent, keep the SL30 for this reason alone.

edit: (just looked up the costs). OK $2000 difference. Well....Your call.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Lot to think about...

Here is what I am trying to work through.
VOR navigation is becoming less and less important.
GPS navigation is becoming more important.
Having dual VOR capabilities when infrequently using more than one seems less important.
Having multiple GPS capabilities seems better.
Having multiple useable VHF radio capabilities is important.
What would/could cause a VOR or LOC navigation to be unusable could have more to do with external factors than with the GNS430 or SL30 unit. Something bad would affect both those units the same. Yes, one unit could malfunction, but how much redundancy is necessary.

Sam (TX7A) has me thinking about selling both the new GNS430W and the new SL30 and getting the GTN650 which would put some money back in the bank.

So, I am thinking about keeping the SL40 for its backup VHF radio capabilities and ending up with all glass panel using the GTN650.
One thing I'm certain about is if I go that route, Stein will still offer very competitive pricing for a new GTN650. :confused:

I don't suppose Dynon is coming out with something rivaling the GTN650?

Time to go install more nut plates.

I wouldn't count on any inexpensive experimental radio gear anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the radio gear needs to be TSO in order to be legal for navigation, so it ends up just not making sense.

Sam (TX7A) has me thinking about selling both the new GNS430W and the new SL30 and getting the GTN650 which would put some money back in the bank.

So, I am thinking about keeping the SL40 for its backup VHF radio capabilities and ending up with all glass panel using the GTN650.
One thing I'm certain about is if I go that route, Stein will still offer very competitive pricing for a new GTN650.

I went with the GTN650 and the SL40 in my RV-10.

bob

I don't think Dynon Skyview "rivals" the GTN650, rather it adds to it: such as providing a PFD along with synthetic vision. It also provides all the Engine gages. The 650 provides com and VHF and GPS Nav. Together, they provide a pretty complete, redundant package, especially when combined with the SL30.
This is a very interesting and informative string--I have been going back and forth over the SL30/SL40 issue, too. At this point, the SL30 seems best for my anticipated mission of IFR cross country flying. I try to keep going back to what is the best equipment for my mission that falls within (or slightly outside!) of my wallet. When I am finally finished, I intend to have earned my Stein Tee shirt.
Bob

More thoughts....

Webb: Can't do a monthly VOR check on the 430 against the SL40
True, however could still use VOT at airport to validate the single VOR.

Brantel: Keeping the SL30 adds two additional VHF Nav sources to your mix. The SL40 adds none.
That was my dilemma. Do I need 2 VOR systems in today's world. Heck, my son couldn't believe I was not going with a marker beacon in the audio panel!!.

tmbg: I wouldn't count on any inexpensive experimental radio gear anytime soon..
Seems every time I think Dynon has plateau'd they bring on more new and effective products. If you mean nav gear that equals the GNS430 or GTN650 it would be nice if they did. Maybe they will. Probably right after I get a GTN650.

Bob'sRV6A: ...I have been going back and forth over the SL30/SL40 issue, too
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Some very respected advisors tell me I should not invest in two VOR/LOC/ILS units mainly because it is aged technology that is being replaced by GPS and that its sometimes difficult for highly experienced pilots who are used to VOR navigation to lend support to changes. Don't necessarily agree with all that, but I can sleep at night with one real good Garmin unit for VOR/LOC/ILS/GPS with skyview gps backups. Probably going to put the new GNS430W and SL30 on the classifieds then buy a GTN650. I still remember 2 years ago, paying $400 for a collins TDR950 transponder and thinking wow what a deal. Guess I should put that one out there too. Lesson is wait until you can clearly define your mission. Then get the best equipment you can afford, as late as possible. Not the other way around. :)

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Some very respected advisors tell me I should not invest in two VOR/LOC/ILS units mainly because it is aged technology that is being replaced by GPS and that its sometimes difficult for highly experienced pilots who are used to VOR navigation to lend support to changes.

Hmmmm, I disagree. As long as there are ILS approaches, there will be a VOR approach.....unless they figure out a way to do it without a localizer.

Both are good radios. Personally, I would keep the one that has more capability. One is just more expensive than the other. Personally, I like to tune 2 units into a VOR in IFR flight, one to and one from. More than once I have found that having the VOR tuned in kept on when the GPS signal didn't.

More than once I have found that having the VOR tuned in kept on when the GPS signal didn't.

I'd just like to know why the GPS signal "didn't". I have not had a "didn't" for 17 years. I'm constantly asking others, including commercial airline pilots about GPS reliability. Except for bad antennas, a few military areas, and these "Lightsquared" test areas.............it appears that GPS is VERY reliable.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

I'd just like to know why the GPS signal "didn't". I have not had a "didn't" for 17 years. I'm constantly asking others, including commercial airline pilots about GPS reliability. Except for bad antennas, a few military areas, and these "Lightsquared" test areas.............it appears that GPS is VERY reliable.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Home base is near Jackson, MS. Last year, GPS signal was lost in the area 3-4 times. Once to the west and the rest to the northwest.

Why do you need two Skyview systems?

How do you consider the GPS in a Skyview to be a backup to the GPS capabilities in a 430W/GTN650?

Last edited:
I will have a dual screen skyview system (one system, two screens) with dual ADAHRS. Also, I have a D6 in case the entire skyview system goes down. This may be an extreme case of overkill, but it is my choice after much thinking, and shopping the details. To fly IFR comfortably, even to punch through the local overcast to VFR on top, I need reasonable assurance that the flight can continue with the failure of a PFD. I believe this will provide a great IFR package--not the best, by any means, but certainly within my means.
The skyview GPS does in fact provide backup navigation as I do not intend to have a hand held mounted in the plane. If it got down to that being the only navigation means left when in the clouds, it should at least get me to final radar vectors or to VFR.

Ron Lee: How do you consider the GPS in a Skyview to be a backup to the GPS capabilities in a 430W/GTN650?

I am putting two skyviews in because my copilot wife heard me say I was getting one skyview and she said something like ''really!!'', in so many words. So I tried to go with one 10 inch and one 7 inch and that is why I am putting in two 10 inch skyviews. :) . My 430W obviously has GPS, VOR/LOC capabilities. If any one fails from external factors, I have the remainder of the 430W options, plus the navigation options of the skyview gps. I also have a portable ICOM A23 Nav/Com on board as another backup nav and com. Normally, I would just use them as confirmation of my 430W (or GTN650)existing navigation.

2 of everything...

All these back up gadgets for IFR and still only one engine....:confused:

I guess it is never enough but one can't go wrong with having back ups..:D

I struggled with a similar choice for quite a while. I realize that it's not a *huge* difference in price between an SL30 and an SL40, in the grand scheme of the build, but a thousand here, a thousand there, pretty soon you're talking real money :).

I ended up with the following set (in the process of installing them now):

Skyview 10" with all the bells and whistles, including the SV GPS - Primary EFIS, Primary or Secondary GPS Nav

Garmin 430W - Primary GPS Nav/Comm, Primary (and only) VOR Nav
SL40 - Secondary Comm
Dynon D6 - Secondary EFIS

I don't want to get too into it here, but with backup batteries on both Dynon units, and the appropriate split between main and essential busses for power to the various units, I think I have every failure mode covered with a backup except for the VOR function on the 430. I can take that "single point failure waiver", given where I think navigation is going in the next few years. And yes, I did a fault tree to demonstrate tolerance of any one component, buss, or system :).

Steve