Highflight

Well Known Member
While my Finish Kit won't be ready to ship for a month or so, I thought I'd contact Partain to have it delivered to Houston and get a price to do so.

It turns out that they no longer will deliver sub-kits only, just complete QB kits, so regular trucking is the only way to go.

So, I checked with a company I've used at work a bit (FedEx Freight) and was quoted over $950.00; for JUST a Finish Kit box. wow

I then did some googling and found a site that places freight with one of over 80 companies that want to fill their trucks with "filler" freight that they will do at a deep discount.

So I got a quote using the exact numbers off of Van's site for size and weight of the Finish Kit and was told $369.00 which is less than the $450 that Partain quoted me months ago (when they were still shipping subkits).

The quote you get is only good for 5 days so I'll have to get a new one when my FKit is ready to ship, but for those of you looking for an alternative to big-buck shipping, you can try the link below and get an online, immediate quote.

Be sure to have both the zipcodes of origin and destination handy, the exact size and weight of the crate(s) which is all listed on Van's site, and note that you'll be asked for a Class of material, so be aware that all aircraft parts are Class 200.

Good luck, and report back here if you like to tell us how things work out.
(And no, I am not connected in any way to the linked company below).

http://www.freight-delivery-business.com/

Some of those prices make me wonder if it doesn't make sense to take a little NW USA vacation and then rent a UHaul to get home and throw a finish kit in the back of it.

I agree

By all means if you have not visited the Columbia River Gorge, driven along the Columbia River Scenic Highway to Hood River (not the Interstate), stopping at the majestic Multnomah Falls by the side of the road, seen Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens it is worth the trip. I rented a Budget 24 ft. truck near the Portland Airport and delivered my own QB RV-6A at very reasonable cost but of course Budget was anxious to get trucks relocated back to LA from all of people migrating from LA to Oregon. My finishing kit fit snugly in the back of my small Ram 50 pick-up truck - another posibility.

Bob Axsom

Planning a pickup at Van's

I am actually planning a trip to OR to pick up my QB 7A fuse when it arrives this summer (June or July according to Van's). If anyone on the east coast (VA to ME) or central states is interested I could pick up your QB or kit or subkit as well. I figure that if I pick up my kit as well as another one or two kits it will make the trip even more worthwhile. Is anyone interested?

Antony

shipping woes

Look at Eagle Global Logistics. i don't know what the charges would be (yet), but we have sent engines as far away as Cape Town S/A for under $1500 FULLY INSURED. Worht looking at anyway.

Allen

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you arrange with Van's to have a different freight company ship your kit? I just assumed their default freight was the only game in town. FWIW, I just ordered my Empannage Kit with standard freight. I hope it won't be too expensive to Los Angeles.