DEWATSON

Well Known Member
I am building a RV8 and I'm just about through with the wiring....thank goodness. There is a "keep alive" feature with the Dynon Flightdek 180 and also with the Garmin radio. My battery is in the back of the airplane. Are most of you running a single wire from the battery side of the master switch up to the avionics to provide the "keep alive" voltage needed? Or what would be better? Thanks.

David Watson
49FD

Using the Keep-Alive is no longer recommended on the Dynon hardware. It's in the latest versions of the documentation available for free on their website.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

Using the Keep-Alive is no longer recommended on the Dynon hardware. It's in the latest versions of the documentation available for free on their website.

Hope that helps,
Jamie

Not really true. It depends on if the internal battery is used or not or another source is used.

I pulled that power off the contactor. No need for another long wire run.

BTW, don't label that breaker "Keep Alive". You would be surprised at the comments I have received from first time passengers.

I am building a RV8 and I'm just about through with the wiring....thank goodness. There is a "keep alive" feature with the Dynon Flightdek 180 and also with the Garmin radio. My battery is in the back of the airplane. Are most of you running a single wire from the battery side of the master switch up to the avionics to provide the "keep alive" voltage needed? Or what would be better? Thanks.

David Watson
49FD

The traditional method of controlling the battery master relay is with a relay that is activated by a switch that switches the ground side of the relay coil. Then there is no need to have an inline fuse located at the relay to protect the wire (because it is a ground wire).

Because it is a ground wire, it is not possible to use it for a memory keep alive on other equipment.

Ron B.,

You are correct....that is what I meant. I should have said the battery side of the master solenoid.

My Dynon is several years old now; maybe three. I think I need to use the keep alive feature. Thanks for the replies.

David Watson
49FD