Berchmans

Well Known Member
I just purchased the Kannad Integra ELT for the RV8 I am building. This is a slick little unit that has a new unique feature...all I have to do now is figure out how to use it...This unit has a built in GPS/ELT antenna which means that the unit can actually be installed without an external antenna if it can "see the sky". According to the provided information it can be installed under a canopy or within the fuselage of a composite structure. This has some interesting possiblities. I have not decided were to put it ultimately and may wind up with a conventional installation. But maybe in the wingtip? This will require some thought. Also if removed from the aircraft a seperate walk around antenna is not required.

The only drawback to this unit that I see is that it does not transmit on the 121.5 freq. unless an external antenna is used.

Anyone else out there try one of these...were could it go on an 8, see the sky and not be obtrusive other than the wing tip?...maybe some of the VAF minds will have some input...I am sure you will...

I'm thinking of replacing my old ELT with this unit. If so, would probably mount it under the aft baggage shelf (where I already have a small access door so I could remove the ELT if need be) and then mount an external antenna in a wing tip. Another possibility is to mount the external antenna on the back of the right aft arm rest (where my current antenna is located) but not sure the new antenna would fit or be fully operative there.

I would't recommend installing the ELT in location where the antenna is not attached directly to the ELT.
Don't forget that in case of accident, it is more likely that the aircraft might be torn apart and the antenna and the antenna feed coax cable might be disconnected from the transmitter and in this case - no any transmission out!
The ELT should be installed in such a way that it is accessible for the annual inspection ant batteries replacement.
Ariel Arielly
Israel

The wingtip does present some problems with access true...but this unit does not require the external antenna. If you use an external antenna and it is disconnected it will still transmit on 406 if the unit can see the sky. There is an internal antenna that allows this. This is an extra bit of insurance if the external antenna is disconnected...this kinda says keep it out of the fuselage if possible...I am still 8 months from flying so have some time to ponder this one...