Sam Staton

Well Known Member
I am really hoping that I haven't shot myself in the foot. I am attempting to install the battery contractor and starter relay on the firewall. They use K1000-4 nut plates. I can't find a nut plate template for them. I bought the -6, -8, and -10 templates from Avery, but they don't list one for the -4. I have, of course, already drilled the holes 1/4". Any suggestions for a source or a fix will be gratefully accepted! Thanks in advance!

Just use a nutplate as a template. I have started a screw from the backside of the nutplate, and just screwed it in so that the end sticks out a 1/4" or so from the nutplate..... it has worked well for me.

Good luck,
Jason

As I recall, a 1/4" diameter piece of aluminum tubing will slip over the nipple on an #8 nutplate jig, thus transforming it into a 1/4" nut place jig.

V

K1000-4

Excellent information! Thanks a million to all who replied. Now, I need to locate a #40 screw dimple die ... Any recommendations for a supplier?

As I recall, a 1/4" diameter piece of aluminum tubing will slip over the nipple on an #8 nutplate jig, thus transforming it into a 1/4" nut place jig.

V

Vern - not for K-1000 nutplates - the #8 have a 0.688 inch spacing...

Check my specs. link...:)

I have a collection of screws and bolts that I cut off so that they're just long enough to hold a nutplate tightly while I drill the rivet holes. Screw 'er in, drill one hole, cleco that one and then drill the other, then uncleco and unscrew.

#6, #8, 3/16, etc.

I also have a few nutplates that I ran a tap through a few times so that I can use any screw to easily screw it all the way down tightly.

Either way...I have nutplate jigs, but don't like them because I find it harder to get the rivet holes properly aligned. E.g., draw a line from an edge and "over" the screw hole, using any method or tool. You'll never get it *exactly* centered on the hole. With a jig, I always ended up with the rivet holes just a tad "cockeyed" because I can only see one hole/line combo at a time. With an actual nutplate, I can see both, and as long as it looks the same on both sides, I know the nutplate is straight relative to my line.

Crooked nutplates bother my sense of order in the universe.

Last edited: