HeliCooper

Well Known Member
I countersunk too deep on some holes that are used to attach a K1000-3 nutplate. I am trying to find out if there is a direct replacement that has AN4 attachment holes instead of AN3. Does anyone have this part number.

Thanks,

Jim

drill them up to 1/8

I have done it plenty of times, and it will be fine to drill the 3/32 holes up to 1/8. They have no function other than to hold the plate in place and prevent rotation. When you drill them, the cad plating will be removed, so its a good idea to swab the holes with primer before installing.

Thanks Bill. I didn't even think about drilling them out as it looks pretty thin already. I'll just drill them out.

RE: K1000-3 nutplate rivet

You might consider using MK-319-BS pulled rivets for the nutplate. The hole for the rivet is 7/64" dia which is slightly larger than the normal 3/32 dia solid rivet.

There's a Cherry rivet for platenuts which is supposedly better because it avoids the possibility of the rivet eventually breaking due to getting stressed/stretched/cut by the platenut when inserting/removing screws; I think it's a steel rivet or something like that...rather than relatively soft aluminum.

The ones I've used are 3/32, but there's no doubt an equivalent in the larger size. Don't have the Cherry number handy, though...check ACS.

There's a Cherry rivet for platenuts which is supposedly better because it avoids the possibility of the rivet eventually breaking due to getting stressed/stretched/cut by the platenut when inserting/removing screws; I think it's a steel rivet or something like that...rather than relatively soft aluminum.

The ones I've used are 3/32, but there's no doubt an equivalent in the larger size. Don't have the Cherry number handy, though...check ACS.

The suggested MK 319-BS rivet is monel/steel, not relatively soft aluminum.

OK, OK...I wasn't arguing with anyone, just noting that there are Cherry rivets that would work (and some for 3/32 holes, as well).

Sorry.

OK, OK...I wasn't arguing with anyone, just noting that there are Cherry rivets that would work (and some for 3/32 holes, as well).

Sorry.

In this case, the drilling out of the nutplate hole for a 7/64 MK 319-BS (0.109 inch) rivet is quite negligible.

The K1000-3 rivet hole is already oversize for a 3/32 rivet at 0.098 to 0.103 inch diameter.

In this case, the drilling out of the nutplate hole for a 7/64 MK 319-BS (0.109 inch) rivet is quite negligible.

The K1000-3 rivet hole is already oversize for a 3/32 rivet at 0.098 to 0.103 inch diameter.

Yeah, I recall drilling out one or two somewhere on the build...don't recall exactly where, but it was almost not even a visible difference. I don't even remember why I had to do it, but it worked fine...

The nut plate sits at the base of the spar so it is going through all the doublers. I think drilling out for a AN4 is my best bet as the grip length is pretty long. I think it is requiring a -6 if I remember correctly.